Blood tracking flashlights.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bullzeye

Blood tracking flashlights.

Post by Bullzeye »

Blood tracking flashlights, good or waste of money?

Having deer hunted for over 25 yrs with a rifle I have only needed to track a couple times, but this year I will be trying my hand with the x-bow, and from everything I have read and viewed on video it looks like tracking a deer is part of the X-bow experience.

So do these fancy blood tracking flashlights hold any value, or do I stick with my naptha Coleman lantern?
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
rayman

Re: Blood tracking flashlights.

Post by rayman »

I looked into it and read tons of reviews on Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. They ranged from calling it a waste of money to making the blood glow in the dark. I just try to keep a couple of flashlights with good batteries in the truck and avoid needing them. I've got a dog I trained but try to avoid getting her off the sofa too. Getting too old to be pulled around the swamp in the middle of the night by a 60lb cur dog.

As for trailing being part of the experience, it is but concentrate on making a good shot and it won't be bad most of the time. :)
xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya »

Not sure how well it works but I was told by a sales guy at the local shop that you can get illuminated nooks (if that is what it is called) for your arrows to make recovery easier, also trailing.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

rayman wrote:I looked into it and read tons of reviews on Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. They ranged from calling it a waste of money to making the blood glow in the dark. I just try to keep a couple of flashlights with good batteries in the truck and avoid needing them. I've got a dog I trained but try to avoid getting her off the sofa too. Getting too old to be pulled around the swamp in the middle of the night by a 60lb cur dog.

As for trailing being part of the experience, it is but concentrate on making a good shot and it won't be bad most of the time. :)
Well said Rayman. I remember when in my younger days tracking a deer at night was part of the hunt. It seems with age shot placement, shot placement, shot placement is everything. Nothing compares to putting that arrow into the vitals. When I was young just hitting a deer was a big thing. The archery equipment and the aging process has change the game ten fold. Now its don't shoot unless its right, just right. Lately the deer I've shot made for a short tracking experience which is much better than having to rely on a special light that makes the blood glow.
wabi

Post by wabi »

In my experience it depends a lot on YOUR eyes. :roll:

I have a hard time with a Coleman lantern. Some people find it (Coleman lantern) is a vast improvement.

I have a hunting buddy that swears by one of the "blood tracking" LED flashlights. I see little or no improvement with it.

I have used a Fenix brand L1T (single AA - one of the first models) and a Fenix HL20 (single AA) with great success. Both produce around 100 lumens light output and seem to be about the right (best) illumination (in both intensity & "color") for MY eyes.

I'd take a couple different lights along on the first few tracking jobs and see what worked best. I have tried other LED lights that didn't work as well for me.
wabi
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I agree that shot placement is key, I've always followed that rule all these years rifle hunting, but every time I see guys review new broadheads so many say "he ran only 80yards" , we'll for me always having been a rifle hunter 80yards is FAR, especially in the dark in thick woods.

So with a well placed shot, how far do your deer normally run? I've seen deer shot in the heart/lung with a rifle run 80-100 yards.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bullzeye wrote:So with a well placed shot, how far do your deer normally run? I've seen deer shot in the heart/lung with a rifle run 80-100 yards.
With a well placed shot my average distance is probably under 50 yards. Many have gone down in under 40, but I find one that is shot in the open food plot will usually make it to the cover that surrounds the plot (maybe 60-80 yards in some cases) then pause when the hit the thick cover and go no farther. Seems like they usually have enough stamina to make it to heavy cover where they feel secure enough to pause their "escape from danger" run.

It's the less than perfect hit that tests tracking ability. :roll:
wabi
rayman

Post by rayman »

Bullzeye wrote:So with a well placed shot, how far do your deer normally run? I've seen deer shot in the heart/lung with a rifle run 80-100 yards.
Out of 5 last year, 4 made it less than 80 yards. More like 40 to 70. Blood was usually not an issue either. Made a bad shot on one that I didn't recover. Late in the afternoon and had my 8-yr-old son with me too. Being pulled around the swamp in the middle of the night by a 60 lb cur dog sucks anymore. A glow-in-the-dark flashlight would not have made a difference in that case.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Bullzeye wrote:Blood tracking flashlights, good or waste of money?

Having deer hunted for over 25 yrs with a rifle I have only needed to track a couple times, but this year I will be trying my hand with the x-bow, and from everything I have read and viewed on video it looks like tracking a deer is part of the X-bow experience.

So do these fancy blood tracking flashlights hold any value, or do I stick with my naptha Coleman lantern?
i gave up with hand held lights whether flashlight or the so called blood tracking lights. i could not find anything bright enough that worked for me so this year i will have a coon hunting headlamp led light with belt worn rechargable battery pack with 5 brightness settings, darn expensive but i shud not have the problem of not having enough light!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I have a little blood light that came from walmart and i used it last year and its a big difference in seeing the blood trail. It does glow flo orange and i was tickled at how well it worked.I keep it in my pack
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Honestly i quit buyin n tryin diff lights none seem to be better than the other wid me eyesight. My solution being retired is i only hunt in the mornings & if'en i don't see it fall in sight. I go get my better than me blood trackers, my 3 pups!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have tryed a couple of the tracking lights but still much prefer a good BRIGHT white light like a rechargeable Q-beam or at least one of the mega lumen lithium lights. not only can you see the blood well but you can shine it into the woods and sometimes spot your animal ahead. Bright is better in my opinion.
Trapman

Post by Trapman »

flightattendant100 wrote:I have tryed a couple of the tracking lights but still much prefer a good BRIGHT white light like a rechargeable Q-beam or at least one of the mega lumen lithium lights. not only can you see the blood well but you can shine it into the woods and sometimes spot your animal ahead. Bright is better in my opinion.
What he said! :)
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Black light does make blood - as well as florescent fletching - glow. Don't need a fancy one, got mine on sale at WalMart for around $4.00.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!