Weight vs speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Movingmd

Weight vs speed

Post by Movingmd »

I have a 200lb pull exomag. It pushes a 350gr bolt at 330fps. Anyone have an educated guess or experience with the speed I would get with a 500gr bolt and a 600gr bolts?? Thanks for the info.
Exomag 200lb
Varizone
Munch Mount
Orange tiger vanes
Lazer 2
Muzzy fixed broad heads
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Weight vs speed

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Movingmd wrote:I have a 200lb pull exomag. It pushes a 350gr bolt at 330fps. Anyone have an educated guess or experience with the speed I would get with a 500gr bolt and a 600gr bolts?? Thanks for the info.

You can figure some where's around 300fps or lower, not happy with what you have or going to a heavy bh :?:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Movingmd

Post by Movingmd »

Just getting started. And I like the idea of staying over 300fps. And I put on an endless loop that's support to give me 12fps. Just wanted a good idea that I can still be over 300.
Exomag 200lb
Varizone
Munch Mount
Orange tiger vanes
Lazer 2
Muzzy fixed broad heads
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hell shoot what you have, I'm waiting for excal to make something faster, later on get a boo string best out there. did you weigh your arrows :?:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

225 pound max ,, 540 grn 2219 ,, home made string , a liitle heaver than most strings 306 fps out of my bow ,,
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Based on recent test, lost 1fps for every 4 grains of increased arrow using Vortex and same string.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

I am curious as to what you are hunting that weight (above & beyond the norm) is a consideration? I have an Exomag and use stock Goldtip Laser IIs and 130gr broadhead. I have not chronoed it since I have had it. However, I can tell you that I get complete passthroughs on whitetail and turkey out to the extreme limits of my range - 50 yards - and all those passthroughs were buried to the fletchings in the ground.

Therefore, if you are hunting only them, you will not need the weight. If you are going after Cape Buffs or Elephants, then perhaps you could load up on weight somewhat. I know Bill does. However, I have no reservations about using my set-up on anything that walks on land. If your broadhead is sharp, your shot is accurate, then it is pretty much a given that your Exomag is going to do damage beyond the animal's ability to recover.

Thus, a compromising combination of speed and weight should be all that is necessary. In essence, your recommended minimum weight for your bow.
speezack

Post by speezack »

As a new Excalibur Exomax owner I am a bit confused as to proper weight/broad-head... ft/lb etc... etc.... I never paid much attention to shooting with my old Ben Pearson Spoiler Plus back in the day but now... probably 25 or 30 year later... everyone seems to be so interested in all this tech stuff...

Never had a scope on a bow... lighted open sights was about it... with a peep-sight string insert... finger release until the hand held showed up (excuse me if I don't know the proper nomenclature) just tried to get the best broad-heads (usually 'wasps') and practiced with field and broad-heads and compared arrow flight/distance.... never really had too many issues.... usually managed to get a deer... but now?????

Ok.... my Exomax package included 4 bolts... standard Excalibur Easton brand 'Fire-bolts', weighing around 270gr ea. and 4 150gr. field-points; giving an average weight of around 420 gr.

I then bought 6 150gr. broad-head, 'bolt-cutters' (recommended by Excalibur) which should keep the weight about the same but of course will certainly fly a bit different with the fixed blades(IMHO)

I then got 6, 125gr. 'mechanical 'spitfire' broad-heads... upon the recommendation of several crossbow hunters in several shops... I also bought 6 additional bolts, these were 'Carbon Power Bolts' and then I added some magnetic marker lights to 3 of these newer bolts giving them a weight of around 370gr. (356gr. without the lights) and with the 125gr. 'spitfires' they came out at about 495gr.

Are you confused... I am a bit... anyway... everyone tells me to keep the weight above 400gr. and heavier bolts fly better and hit of course harder and with the mechanical broad-heads they should fly about the same as a 125gr. field-point. All say that the Exomax is rated at 350fps... which is plenty for the heavier bolt.... :?:

I really like the lighted rear ends but cannot put them on the standard Excalibur 'fire-bolts' cause they have that threaded insert in the rear and it is glued in.... whereas the other Easton bolts just have the plastic push ins that can be removed and the light inserted. I want the lights since these bolts with all the trimmin's price out close to $20 or more (lights and all) .... so I want to try and save them if at all possible... ain't like shootin' my .308... anyway....

Any comments or suggestions... I like the lighted end.... heavier bolts with the 'spitfire' mechanical broad-heads (125gr.).... that weigh out around 495gr......
comments welcome................ :idea: :?: :?: :mrgreen:
Bill
south central Virginia

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
"Will Rogers"
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Movingmd wrote:I have a 200lb pull exomag. It pushes a 350gr bolt at 330fps. Anyone have an educated guess or experience with the speed I would get with a 500gr bolt and a 600gr bolts?? Thanks for the info.
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TOO SHOT NEED ING ALL THAT KINETIC ENERGY YOU LIVE IN SC USA ( SORRY FOR THE CAPS )
I know you have hogs what else unless you are going 3 D
Curious a 200 # bow wont give it too you
Joe171
srhall32

Post by srhall32 »

Checked my Equinox with 2219's at 480 gns and Excalibur flemish string and was average of 321 fps with Chrony F1....
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

All say that the Exomax is rated at 350fps... which is plenty for the heavier bolt.... :?:
That's w/ a FFF string and 350 gr arrows, a nasty, twangy combo. Figure one fps for every 4-5 gr weigh change and you'll be close enough..........
"Eze 18:21"
HOOT

Post by HOOT »

Personal preference is a big part of this sport. With that being said, listen to advice as to not reinvent the wheel but after some trial & error experimenting, go with what you prefer. No scope, fixed or mechanical, light or heavy. Shoot what you are comfortable with in making an accurate shot placement consistently and have fun!

I believe in the K.I.S.S. concept, keeping it simple & stupid! Since hunting is my preference, I simply stick to hunting gear for X-bows. I have an Equinox topped with a Varizone scope, use the Excalibur Firebolts - as Excal. spent a lot of money, research and engineering to best fit the bolts to their bows, why second guess them? - I use 175 gr Slick Trick X-Tricks because they too were engineered for fast X-bows and am waiting on a cat whiskered Boo string; again, designed for Excalibur. Plus, I purchase my Firebolts directly from Burnt Coyote with the Lumenock professionally installed at a great price. Guess what? This combo works great!

It's kind of hard to go wrong when using gear recommended by the manufacturer, especially Excalibur. So stay on the basics, have fun practicing, have more fun in ethically taking some game and then, whether it be hunting, 3D or long range, I bet you'll find what you're looking for and have a blast doing so. Last but certainly not least, this group of great folks will be more than happy to assist at any level!

Just my thoughts...
Last edited by HOOT on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

my exocet 200 shoots 550gr arrows at 289FPS +/-.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.