Newbie with a question or two about my Axiom SMF...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

buckeroo

Newbie with a question or two about my Axiom SMF...

Post by buckeroo »

Hi everyone. Greg here from the great state of Georgia!

I recently purchased an Axiom SMF package. I had it out of the box, set up and shooting like a laser beam within one hour. Way to go Excalibur for making it easy!

I have a question or two:
Mine is totally stock besides buying some string dampeners to help with noise. I am curious if I buy the 150 grain Bolt Cutter broadheads if they will match in weight to the field tips that come stock with my bow package. I cant seem to recall or locate the weight of the practice/field tips I have.

Second,
Does anyone know right out of the box with the completely stock specs and string how fast the Axiom SMF is shooting?

I really dig this bow and it is my very first cross bow. I plan on hunting bears in the GA mountains and deer in the suburbs of Atlanta where I live. I may even take it to our farm in south GA to hunt a big buck down there too.
papa bear1

Re: Newbie with a question or two about my Axiom SMF...

Post by papa bear1 »

Most EX-Cals come from the factory with 150,grn. field tips, as for all your other questions, I'm sure you will get answers to all your questions from realy , knowlagable members on this forum. "OR" look to the left in the blue colum,s and read,the support section, :)

Dave :wink:

P.S. Welcome to the forum buckaroo !! :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome, you picked a good bow. my axiom is very accurate. the speed is around 280-290. later on get a boo string and gain 15- 20 fps. i'm hunting bear and plan on hunting deer this year with it. boltcutter fly good and rage 2 125 grain fly great for me. good luck with your bow.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

i have the same package, your tips should be 150gr have fun :D
RobB

Post by RobB »

I found that my 150g Bolt Cutters fly a little low compared to the field points out of my Axiom. I was really surprised by this as I was expecting the same POI. I'm relatively new to the world of X-bows as well, so what I do is practice mostly with my Bolt Cutters that way when it comes to pull the trigger on a deer I know where my arrow is going to go. I also found that at 20 yrds I'm bang on with my cross hairs, but have to shoot a littler higher than the 30 and 40 yrd reticle to hit my mark. It could just be me...like I said I'm new to this game.

Rob
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'm left handed so bear w/ me a bit, yr bheaded arrows weigh 418 gr - 350 gr[min weight]= 68 gr/5=14 fps plus 10 more for excel string=24 fps from max of 305= 281 fps.

I put an arrow through a 1000 lb cow buffalo w/ a 440 gr arrow and the Slick Trick cut a rib in two on the offside and was hanging out a bit. My speed was a chronied 290 fps fwiw. Boo string to boot.

Should be good to go!!!!!!!!!!
"Eze 18:21"
buckeroo

Post by buckeroo »

Awesome guys! Thanks for the responses. I have never been into bow hunting until I bought a compound second hand about 3 years ago. I am a long time gun hunter and new to bear hunting as well. Last year I totally lost a chance at a 250 pound black bear because he came in out of nowhere while I was on the ground hunting with my compound. He nearly stepped on me and spooked and bolted.

A dude I ran into that bear hunts here in GA turned me on to the Excalibur x bows because that is what he uses to hunt with and has been successful killing bears. I feel better now while hunting on the ground that I wont have to stand and draw in the situation a bear comes out of nowhere like last year. We cant bait here in GA, so you never know where/when one is going to come in from.

I hope to be able to post pics of me with a big ol' black bear and who knows, maybe a deer or two.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the new bow!!
welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows