New DaGriz Custom!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

New DaGriz Custom!

Post by Big58cal »

Got my new DaGriz Custom Knife today! :D I've gotta give kudos to Darrel, I'm not the easiest person to work with when it comes to something custom like this. :lol: I'll get something in my head as far as what I want, and usually there isn't a whole lot that's going to change it. I'm weird like that, but I'm willing to pay the money to get what I want, otherwise if I don't get what I want, I'm never happy with it. :( So needless to say, I'm happy with this knife. :wink: :lol: I think Darrel has the patience of a Saint. :lol: He and I went back and forth for about 2 weeks I think through email working out the details on this thing. In thinking up and decided on what I wanted, I went through several years worth of posts in the Classified section looking at pictures of knives that Darrel had made, as well as the ones that he has on Boo's site, looking at the woods, blade materials, blade designs, etc. I also took a bunch of the custom knives that I've got and looked at the features I liked the best, blade features, measured the blade lengths, handle lengths, handle widths, etc. As I said, I'm kinda' weird about custom stuff like that. :lol:

So to start it off, here's the first DaGriz Custom I got. This one was the "Dark Big Boy" that Darrel had listed in the Classified section. This was the one that I had pictured with deer blood on it that worked on the doe I got opening day. :wink:

After I got the one above, that kind of whetted my appetite for another DaGriz Custom. That led to this second one. After going through all of the pictures I could find of Darrel's knives, I only found 1 made out of the Oden's Eye Damascus. That pattern just struck me as really cool, so I had to have it! :D Going through the different types of wood, it was a toss-up between Buckeye Burl or Box Elder Burl that I liked the best. Since I already have a custom knife with Buckeye Burl, I decided to go with the Box Elder Burl. Darrel sent me some pictures of several different kinds to choose from and I picked one that had a really cool red stripe in it. The problem was, where the stripe was and the length of the handles, it was going to be a challenge to get the red on the actual finished knife. When I got it today, I noticed that Darrel was able to get the red on there. :D With really pretty wood like that, I don't like the looks of the pins distracting from the wood, so I had him hide the pins (a royal P.I.T.A.). I've got big 'ol meaty gorilla hands, so I need a knife with just a little bigger and fatter handles for it to feel right in my hands. Darrel was able to do this too. :D Another little feature that I've got on some other custom knives that I really like is a little dip up on the top of the blade at the back of the handle for my thumb to fit into. To me, it just feels better when I'm using it. I had Darrel add in some cross-hatch marks in there for a little "grip". :wink:

So below is the finished product. :D

Now we'll see if i can christen it with some deer blood on Saturday. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wabi

Re: New DaGriz Custom!

Post by wabi »

I think Darrel is a real artist with his knifemaking!
Love that wood on the new one!
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

Very nice selections of knives...both of you.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

Holy Crap those are awesome. I'm going to start putting more quarters in my son's piggy bank and then hide it somewhere. :D
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

birddog10 wrote:Holy Crap those are awesome. I'm going to start putting more quarters in my son's piggy bank and then hide it somewhere. :D
A custom knife is alot like a rifle scope, you get what you pay for. :wink: They truly are a work of art. I've got 1 regular "production" knife that that I still use, and that is an original Marbles made in Gladstone, MI. Everything else I use now are custom knives. They're works of art that you get to admire, as well as use. :wink: :D They're definitely worth the money.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Big58cal wrote:
birddog10 wrote:Holy Crap those are awesome. I'm going to start putting more quarters in my son's piggy bank and then hide it somewhere. :D
A custom knife is alot like a rifle scope, you get what you pay for. :wink: They truly are a work of art. I've got 1 regular "production" knife that that I still use, and that is an original Marbles made in Gladstone, MI. Everything else I use now are custom knives. They're works of art that you get to admire, as well as use. :wink: :D They're definitely worth the money.

I agree with that...

Nice knives!!.... Good luck at getting the new one dirty this week :wink:
I am sure hoping to dirty mine :D
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Makes my heart smile when customers are happy with my work! :mrgreen:

Maybe I should add in some profit when I price them??? :?
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

very nice!!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

That is one sweet looking set of knives . I hope the hog sticker he's makin me turns out that well !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

A very beautiful work of art. You are both to be congratulated. I have a work of art of Darrel's and I can honestly say that I am honored to own one of his works of art. Way to go guys.
Thank you,
Raymond
cmcsmitty

Post by cmcsmitty »

Awesome knives. You could put them up for display......nah get 'em dirty. Looking forward to gettin' my DaGriz custom christened this fall. Enjoy 'em.
Blackout Ibex "Dark Angel"
Big John GT 2's
PSE X-Force Vendetta
Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 Cal
DaGriz Custom
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

DaGriz wrote:Makes my heart smile when customers are happy with my work! :mrgreen:

Maybe I should add in some profit when I price them??? :?

yep, you probably should Darrel... They are beautiful and worth the dollars
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

WOW !!! does are beautiful knives , you got good taste mark ... Dagriz is a Master knife maker. Maybe one day all be lucky enough ,
Bravost !!! Dagriz you did it again ( Damn nice )
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
rej

Post by rej »

A couple of really fine knives you can take a lot of pride in Big58. I purchased that "super special" Darrel has in the trading post and seeing these has me tingling in anticipation for the arrival of mine. DaGriz definitely has a signature style that stands out.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Wow guess that goes on my must have list now that I crossed off the Aging Stock :D

F