grayling fletching jig

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

grayling fletching jig

Post by jody5252 »

should have my butt kicked. (no offers to do so please) this is also in part to the previous question i had about erratic arrow flight... upon close inspection of all of my arrows i noticed that my vanes were not evenly spaced between each vane!! :cry: how could i have done this?? :oops: scraping and cleaning time! so i re-adjusted the jig. fletched an arrow same thing! what am i missing here?? there is no other way to fletch them correctly. i followed directions to the letter. determined the jig is crap!! well you get what you pay for... if anyone has or had one of these jigs, please share any info about them. thanks...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
shaftthrower

Re: grayling fletching jig

Post by shaftthrower »

Been using that jig for years with no problems. Is yours indexing 120 degrees per click? What setup do you have on the nock end of your arrows ( mines a older jig and I made an adapter to work for xbow nocks)
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

120 x 3 straight clamp i use the plastic knocks. cross bow receiver came with jig. instructions say to use cock feather up or down. that should not matter for crossbow arrows. do not know how to set up jig without that plate. no other instructions for that...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Grayling Fletching Jig

Fletching Instructions

The jig base should be mounted to a board or counter by using holes provided on bottom of the base.(Fig1 "A") note: #10 wood screws.
Arrow shafts should be cleaned before fletching, Read your fletching glue for proper cleaning instructions. This is a very important step, this will insure a good bond.
Insert nock into the desired position in the nock receiver (Fig1 "B"). If you are not using adjustable nocks there are six small lines located on the jig dial (Fig 2 “G”), 3 longer lines and 3 shorter lines. Three of these lines are shown in (Fig 2 "G"). The plate you have installed in your jig will determine what lines you will be using for the cock feather alignment. Loosen the nock adjustment knob (Fig1 "F"), rotate the jig dial (Fig 1 “G”) until the proper lines are visible (Fig 2 "G"). Then move the jig dial left or right until the middle line on the jig dial and the locating line on the jig base (Fig 2 “A”) are aliened (fig 2 red arrows). If you can not get them to align properly, then rotate the dial to the next set of lines and repeat this process. After you have completed this, lock down the fletching plate adjustment knob (Fig 1 “F”). This step is not necessary for a 4 X 90 Fletching or adjustable nocks.
Lay the shaft of the arrow in the shaft holder(Fig1 "C"). If you are using Graylings index shaft holder you will have to rotate the index shaft holder to the shaft size you are using.
The nock adjustment knob (Fig1 "F") must be locked into position before any gluing is started. Note: The adjustment knob (Fig1 "F") allows for 7 degree offset each side of the cock feather starting position, this can be useful for lining up and repairing old arrows.
Insert vane or feather into the clamp (Fig1 "D"). Use the marks on the clamp(Fig1 "H") for a reference to ensure feather position (1/2" to 5/8"), so all feathers are the same distance from the nock. Make sure your feather/vane is seated to the clamp properly.
Loosen the magnet adjustment knobs (Fig1 "E"), place the clamp on the magnet. Move the magnet until you have the desired position of your fletch on the arrow shaft. The feather/vane should be touching the shaft from one end to the other.
Lock the magnet adjustment knobs (Fig1 "E") into place. Your jig is now set.
Remove the clamp from the magnet.
Perform another dry run to ensure the feather/vane is in the position you want. Do this by placing the clamp back on the magnet and push the clamp down on the shaft.
After checking the position of the shaft and feather/vane, run a thin line of your fletching glue along the entire base of the vane. Replace the clamp on the magnet and press into position.
Allow the glue to dry the recommended time.
Release the feather/vane from the clamp, and remove the clamp from the magnet.
Rotate the dial (Fig1 "G") to the next click.
Insert vane of feather into the clamp, using the same marks(Fig1 "H") on the clamp you used the first time to position this feather/vane.
Repeat process 11 through 15 until your arrow is complete.

http://graylingoutdoorproducts.com/support_fj_ins.html
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Grayling Fletching Jig

changing the fletching plates.

Tools Needed : Phillips Head Screwdrive

Loosen adjuster knob(Fig1 "A").
Remove dial screw(Fig1 "B") completely with a phillips head screw driver..
Remove dial(Fig1 "E"), spring(Fig1 "H"), rear fletch plate(Fig1 "D") and front fletch plate(Fig1 "C").
Choose the desired front and back fletch plate. Cock feather down 3 X 120(Fig2) and Cock feather Out 3 X 120 (Fig2) both use the 3 fletch front plate(Fig2). The 4 X 90(Fig2) uses the 4 fletch front plate(Fig2).
The receiver(Fig1 "F") should still be thru the hole in the jig body. Hold the jig body so the nock receiver is facing down, holding the nock receiver in with your thumb.
Place the front plate(Fig1 "C") over the back end of the receiver and into the adjuster slot(Fig1 "G").
Place the rear fletch plate(Fig1 "D") over the receiver(Fig1 "F") lining up the flats.
Replace the spring(Fig1 "H") on the back end of the receiver(Fig1 "F").
Line the flat of the dial(Fig3) with the flat of the receiver(Fig1 "F") turning the dial slightly in both directions while applying slight downward pressure till the whole assembly drops together.
While holding the whole assembly together with your thumb and finger replace and tighten the dial screw(Fig1 "B").
Tighten the adjuster knob(Fig1 "A") and your ready to begin fletching again.

http://graylingoutdoorproducts.com/supp ... lates.html
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

wow. thanks for all the work you put into this! however i went by the insructions, first off,
why use a plate for cock feather up and down for a x-bow?? you do not need that. no matter how i set it up i end up with different distantces between each vane!
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

jody5252 wrote:wow. thanks for all the work you put into this! however i went by the insructions, first off,
why use a plate for cock feather up and down for a x-bow?? you do not need that. no matter how i set it up i end up with different distantces between each vane!
I think that cock feather down and cock feather out are references for vertical bows. The first is for a shoot through arrow rest and the second is for an arrow rest on the riser.

We use the jig for crossbows but they are made for traditional bows.

Regardless the two plates are both 120 degrees and should give the desired results unless there is some slippage because something isn't set right.

The fig I have is an old model, made long before model numbers and had fewer adjustments. The only thing on my jig is the words (patent pending).

If you continue having trouble then email the company. I'm sure they will set things right.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I bought 2 of these jigs 10 years ago or so . Have had nothing but good luck with them . ( I used them to fletch hundreds of arrows )They are basically a Blitzenburg jig made of plastic . I would do as Ont_Excal recommended and contact Grayling .