new to bow hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BuzBait

new to bow hunting

Post by BuzBait »

Hi I am brand new to bow hunting and did a lot of research before falling in love with the Excalibur Equinox, which by the way is a bad ass crossbow. My main question is what type of broad head do y'all recommend for deer hunting? i am just kind of lost because there is so many to choose from so some help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
copperjohn

Re: new to bow hunting

Post by copperjohn »

The equinox aka "the beast" is one bad arsed crossbow for sure. You'll find the majority of folk shooting spitfires for mechanicals and slicktrick if your wanting to go the fixed broadhead route. Ive killed two this year with the same spitfire and they do a number on them. However, they are expensive and the aluminum ferrule can get bent, rendering them inaccurate even with replacement blades. They are 40 bucks for a pack of 3 and 20 bucks for replacement blades. Thats more than I want to spend, so I am shooting a solid, one-piece construction, reusable head called a NAP hellrazor that can be resharpened. I should be able to several kills with each making them more cost efficient.
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

I shoot 125gr Swhacker broadheads, the fly just like my field tips, cut a very large hole, the blades can be replaced, and I bought them new on ebay for $25. Congrats on a FINE crossbow.
I love the smell of damp rotting leaves in the morning
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum.

BH's are very much a personal choice

Some like mechanical and some like fixed
Most mechanical bh shoot like fp's so its a lot easyer
and have a large cutting surface

There are many great fixed bh out there , but may not always shoot the same as fp's and will require some resighting

This is just my opinion though.

Pick a BH that you like and feel confident with and you will be fine
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

3 blade 100gr spitfires are great on deer leaving huge bloodtrails.I use the swhacker this year and that did a great job too.The swhackers are $19.99 at midwayusa.com.

Spitfire bloodtrail.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Several good BH's both fixed & mech. Slicks-Stingers-Montec G5 & Strikers. Spitfire- Swhackers & couple others i haven't used
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

I think there are a lot of realy good broadheads out there..and Vixenmaster listed a few..
i went with the slick trick 125gr magnum last season and ill not even look at another..not to over push em..but the results im getting is all i need..
they shoot spot on every time..and since i only killed two deer with them i dont have alot of info..but they both went less than 40 yards..
the other thing i like is they are tough..the deer i shot last week was a pass through ..found my arrow ..the head is still perfect ..even after slaming into the dirt ..i cant find a thing wrong with it..very very good steel..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Well iam still shooting 125g Wasp Hammer-SST which came with my exocet back in 2002 and they shoot same as field points!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I'm a Slick Trick fan also even though I've killed 10 deer with a 100gr. Rage. The Slick Tricks are very sharp and accurate and changing the blades takes less than minute not 15 minutes compared to the 3 blade Rages.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads