Speed kills, deer and bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Milan

Speed kills, deer and bow

Post by Milan »

Well, I wonder about this...Will 175lb Excalibur last longer than 225lb? Is the only problem between this two string/serving life...Or will 225lb Excalibur affect faster on trigger housing, limbs, etc.?

Thank you!

milan.
Galgo

Re: Speed kills, deer and bow

Post by Galgo »

I don't think so. The bows main components themselves don't seem to have a shelf life or shot life. I think it is safe to say that the higher the poundage the harder the bow is on the string and serving.

I chose the exocet 300 because I thought it was a good balance between speed durability and wear on the string/serving. Had it for 8 years now and have no desire to shoot anything else.

F
wabi

Post by wabi »

The string wear will probably be the major distinguishing factor.
It's going to be slightly faster wear on moving parts for the heavier bow, but not enough to be a concern.

A dryfire would probably be more destructive as draw weight increases, but we aren't supposed to dryfire a crossbow. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

The two should hold up fairly closely, although the 225 lb bows seem to be more prone to having the bolts start to loosen. Which means you need to check them more often to make sure that everything is tight.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Milan

Post by Milan »

Thanks for respond!

I thought that Exomax will fall apart sooner :) Thig is that, I am shooting alot (target shooting). I had Exocet 200 about 2yrs ago...And I had Vortex, which I sold it about 3 weeks ago...I am shooting longer distance and I thought Exomax would be better :) String serving is not a big deal on recurve xbow...On Vortex serving was long lasting...300-500 shoots somewhere there. Can I expect about 200-300 from Exomax?

Thanks!

milan.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

They both will last a lifetime,and if their is a problem it will be fixed by Excalibur asap you may do one extra serving job a year with the 225 lb bow but who cares it is a very easy thing to do.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
srhall32

Post by srhall32 »

I am on my second year with the dyna flight string on my Equinox....serving looks real good but I have my combination of 2219's, Bolt fletched Blazers and Slick Trick and Spitfires set up so no experimenting and no unnecessary shooting. Shoot it a couple times a week at a Rhinehart set up in my yard so my headlights shine on it when I get out of the woods. Shoot the Tricks and keep extra blades to keep 'em sharp. Me, my brother and our sons all use the same combinations except my brother uses an Axiom and his son shoots an Ibex....both killed big bucks already and both blew slick tricks through ribs and shoulders and complete pass throughs...8 pointer and 7 down in 40 yards or so.....make it simple, keep it simple and it will stay simple....