outlaw daughter (in-law) takes head shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bugs

Re: outlaw daughter (in-law) takes head shot

Post by bugs »

Congrats to your DIL, I dont have an issue with any pic put I think Boo's point is that some people with little experience would take that shot because they saw a pic that someone else took the shot and it worked. That inexperienced person may just be hyped up and not know enough about hunting so risking the shot woudlnt have been a good idea. You know how media is, one person hears something and the next thing you know it is the right way for everyone :roll: :lol:
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
rayman

Post by rayman »

Have made a few head and neck shots but not standard practice. More of a center chest - heart/lung guy, but sometimes you may not get the shot you want and must make a split-second decision. Must admit that although I ussually take the moral high ground on these issues, I have tried various shots on occation. When it works out you say, "man I'm a good shot." But when it doesn't, I kicked myself for giving in to the moment and excitement.

We killed a doe during doe rifle season last year that had a small caliber bullet wound in the head. Figured someone tried to shoot it in the head with a 22 during bow season.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

It was a calculated gamble that paid off for your daughter-in-law, thanks in part to her skill. My hope is she comes away from this knowing she caught a break this time, rather than gaining confidence in head shots.

I had a forkhorn do the same thing 2 seasons ago. 15 yards and all I had was his head sticking out from behind the bushes for what seemed like forever. Even though he was getting very nervous and about to bolt, I waited him out and got him through the lungs. I would have had no regrets had he walked away because I passed on the head shot.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
maple

Post by maple »

Congrats on the deer!!

One would have to be very confident of their own shooting abilities in order to take a shot like that. I'm not, therefore I'd pass.

Did I say congrats on the deer?
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Going by your headline I expected to see a mugshot! :lol:
I saw the picture of the deer and have seen successful results from that shot placement before.

I have a book written by Chuck Adams.
You wouldn't believe some of the shots he took early in his career just to make a name.
Of course there was no mention of poor outcomes.

I've passed on more deer than I have harvested and most times did not get a second opportunity. I waited too long and got busted, usually by mature bucks, but I have no regrets.

The problem with the internet is that once the photo is out there you cannot get it back. Digital format can be copied way to easy. It's too easy for antis to use them against us.

Congrats to your family for deer meat in the freezer.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

that like when i first got my exo 200 in 08 and my first deer with a crossbow was a 49 yard shot, sure i got hammered a bit....but i also built my arrows to travel out to 50 yds to my point of aim and practiced with the slick tricks i was going to hunt with before i made such shoot....plus when i let that arrow fly i made sure that deer was totaly sure i was not in the same zip code as her or even thought she was being watched, but i did stick her in the lungs though....that only allowed her to walk away 20 feet before she fell over :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
kamont

Post by kamont »

Thanx for the link
Excellent shot. you have the right equipment and know how to use it, although not a shot for everybody it was one for you. Goes to show know your limitations regardless of the shot that presents itself. Job well done.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats to her on her deer! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting