Firebolts Vs GT laser II

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

Firebolts Vs GT laser II

Post by Gamikatsu »

kind of just looking for some feedback on how people like the two arrows compared. I shoot the firebolts, and i own two OLDER GT laser II arrows. I notice they feel and handle identicle to the Firebolts and i understand they used to be sold as excaliburs arrows. the POI is slightly different so there not really interchangable but i do want to know what people think about them, comparing apples to apples so to say. i know there both great arrows, light, fast, stiff, etc.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
UPSMAN

Re: Firebolts Vs GT laser II

Post by UPSMAN »

I have firebolts and GT Laser 3 bolts. They both shoot great but the GT bolts shoot a tighter group. Those are the ones I hunt with. I think it's the 110 grain brass weight in theGT bolts that make them shoot so tight.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I have tried all sorts of different arrows over the years and I have yet to find anything better than GT Pro Laser III's . That being said, the GT Laser II's are so close that the higher cost of the GT Pro Laser III's is not worth it. The GT II's are super accurate, fly great, and using the Slick Trick 100gr Mag broadheads makes for a deadly combination. The 100gr brass insert gives them plenty of FOC . The GT Pro Laser III's are a bit stiffer but for anything under 330fps I don't feel they are worth the extra cost
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

My package came with the Gold Tip Laser II's and they shoot great but I did refletch them with 2 inch Blazers and I like them even more. Sorry I can't compare them to the Firebolts since I haven't shot those.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i started with gold tips and after they all broke or i lost them all i switched to fire bolts and found the accuracy to be the same. after switching to 2" blazers im now hitting a 1" dot from 20-40 yards every time and 50 most the time using the rage practice head.

both are "minute of deer" and work well :D
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

When the Vortex first came out, I forget the year, the Right Stuff Package came with the GT's. They shot so good, I bought more and that's all I have. I use the same set up as DaGriz and dead on center can not be beat. Why change?
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

BAHHHH

i don't know what to do! i sacrificed an arrow 2 days ago to take out a yote... head and shaft are toaste... he was in a creek bottom, quite a spark show when the boltcutter impacted the granite, the carbon shaft basically splintered... never found anything but a fletching and splinters. the second arrow i lost same day, i shot over a does back not sure what happened with that. its dead on, Doe fever... so i'm down two arrows, two heads... i have a set of 5/5 right now... firebolts bolt cutters... do i buy another set of 6/6 or do i get something different. i love the performance of what i have but using 150 grain tips is kind of limiting... finding a 150 grain Field point localy is proving to be hard. why change whats working for me... why? i do have two old Gold tip laser 2 arrows with alum inserts... they came with my bow and never did fly right with 100 grain tips.. never tried with 150's.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Do you fletch? Cheapest way out is get a doz GT shafts from somewhere and roll your own. Firebolts weren't a choice when I got started, creature of habit..........

Danny doesn't deal in components, Wyvern does, another good dealer............
"Eze 18:21"
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Gamikatsu wrote:BAHHHH

i don't know what to do! i sacrificed an arrow 2 days ago to take out a yote... head and shaft are toaste... he was in a creek bottom, quite a spark show when the boltcutter impacted the granite, the carbon shaft basically splintered... never found anything but a fletching and splinters. the second arrow i lost same day, i shot over a does back not sure what happened with that. its dead on, Doe fever... so i'm down two arrows, two heads... i have a set of 5/5 right now... firebolts bolt cutters... do i buy another set of 6/6 or do i get something different. i love the performance of what i have but using 150 grain tips is kind of limiting... finding a 150 grain Field point localy is proving to be hard. why change whats working for me... why? i do have two old Gold tip laser 2 arrows with alum inserts... they came with my bow and never did fly right with 100 grain tips.. never tried with 150's.
That weight is up front for a reason and it gives you the performance you have.

There are two ways to get that weight up front:
1. Use the 150g BH with the aluminum inserts.
2. Use a standard weight head(100g, or 125g) with the brass insert.

The weight up front is about the same either way but if you are shooting the GT Laser II's with the brass inserts you have a much wider selection of broadheads to choose from. The only problem the brass insert creates is you now have so many broadheads to choose from. :lol:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Gamikatsu,

I just finished my arrow journey and for me the Firebolt shaft is similar to the Gold Tip 2 and 3 shafts. There is a slight difference, but, my indoor testing from rest and freehand out to forty yards nothing huge. Past forty and shooting outside might have changed my results, not sure - I do not shoot outside a lot.

For me, I will stay with the Gold Tip 3 Pro shafts just because of a mental thing, in my mind I think - "These are stiffer, stronger and cost more so they must be better." :lol:

They grouped the best in my test, but only by a inch or two. I no longer am beating my self up or hogging the internet for hours trying to find the perfect arrow or set up combination. I am finally at peace.

All the best to you and your arrow journey. Such a cool feeling when you know what you like and why you like it.

All the best .
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I shoot both firebolts & gts. The firebolts seem to be worse about splintering than the gts. That alone will keep me buying gts when I need more
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Ideally... here is what i would like to do...

UNDER 10 dollars for a complete hunting arrow... Broadhead, Shaft, fletching.

how???

GT laser 2... about 5 bucks. fletching about a dollar... Muzzy standard 100 grain... about 4 bucks... should put me right at 10 bucks... any cheaper than that... i think i'd be sacrificing... i cannot justify a 20 dollar hunting arrow anymore... not hunting 100 lb does... just doesn't cut it. now if i was hunting trophy deer maybe... but not food deer.. i hunt... to save money... it just doens't seem that way... I snapped another stinking firebolt last night... pulling from my block target... pull pull pull CRACK!! what the.... down one more now...
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

The Laser II's are a little lighter so I was able to use a brass insert vs the aluminum I had with the Firebolt for better FOC and not a lot more total weight. I'm sure mainly due to the improved FOC I get better accuracy with my Laser II setup.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Fwiw, not a Muzzy fan, had terrible luck shooting them. Then again, pre AZ-EZ 'Bolt' days, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

well, i AZ EZ fletched all my firebolts, and they shoot GREAT!!!! even with muzzys!!! i couldn't get them to group at all, now they stack! that helical is REDICULOUS they shoot soo good. i love it. AWESHUCKS is the man... that is all i'm going to say...

THANK YOU AWESOMESHUCKS
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer