Run in with an Elk

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Run in with an Elk

Post by wheelie »

Was switching blinds and just got to my blind and there 30 yards from me was a huge totally gray with a white tail monster. I had guessed 5 to 6 hundred pounds. Knew I could not shoot him but never had a chance anyways. We had a 4 or 5 minute stare down. She went down on her front legs with arse in the air, then took 3 steps towards me and stopped. Got up and gave 2 load funny sounding roars and left. Had a totally different neck than a white tail deer. No antlers on it so thats why I figure it was a cow.

Left that morning and went and talked to a guy in town that does hunting licences and he showed me a video of the differences between Elk and deer. Was deffinatly an Elk cow. Told him I would phone the MNR on Monday morning in which I did and they never even phoned me back. This all happened two weeks ago.

Last Friday I was telling a guy I never met before and immediatly before I could tell him any details he said you hunt on the 11th line. I said yes. He said he was chasing that Elk for six years and quit two years ago because he thought it was dead because he had no signs of him for over that time. He proceeded to tell me in every detail exaclly what the Elk looked like and it was a cow about 750lbs and how she acted and said that Elk escaped an Elk farm in Markdale about eight years ago. I have no doubts in my mind that he is telling the truth because he went on and on about how she acted and he was spot on what the Elk did to me. Told me you will never shoot her with a bow because she is way to smart for that. Told him I see that as I was frozen and she never took his eyes off me once.

He said the Elk is legal to shoot since it is an ecaped animal. What's your opinion since the MNR doesn't seem to care a less and never even bothered to phone me back.
Last edited by wheelie on Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VixChix

Re: Run in with an Elk

Post by VixChix »

Cool encounter! Hope you get to see her again! I love the way elk sound.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I would not shoot one in Ontario with-out a tag in the legal season. You would be asking for trouble if you shot it now escaped or wild they will nail you..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bugs

Post by bugs »

Tough decision, I personally would be inclined to let her go since she has survived in the wild so many years on her own but then again it is sad she cant breed and I wonder if she is lonely? Tough call
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

After that long it the wild and the push to increase elk numbers in the province it might be tough to prove that is the escapee. Definitely would not without firm permission from MNR. Best to maybe shoot it with your camera.
Just my 2 cents
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

bugs wrote:Tough decision, I personally would be inclined to let her go since she has survived in the wild so many years on her own but then again it is sad she cant breed and I wonder if she is lonely? Tough call
I have a bloodhound who thinks he is a beagle.LOL
bugs

Post by bugs »

wheelie wrote:
bugs wrote:Tough decision, I personally would be inclined to let her go since she has survived in the wild so many years on her own but then again it is sad she cant breed and I wonder if she is lonely? Tough call
I have a bloodhound who thinks he is a beagle.LOL
So are you saying if you bring the Elk home she will think she is a beagle too and fit in :lol: :lol: Maybe she does hang with the whitetail. I think you are too far from release areas for her to get bred in her lifetime.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Few years ago some red deer escaped from a farm near Jarvis boy they taste great!!
The best things in life are not things!!