swhacker help...asap...please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hester0305

Re: swhacker help...asap...please

Post by Hester0305 »

The swhackers should shoot right with your field points. Try shooting only one arrow and sight in at 20 yards with the swhacker and then take the same arrow and shoot it at 30 yards and use the next chevron ane see where it hits. If it still hits low I would sight in about 1.5 to 2 inches high at 20 and you should be real close at 30 yards. Since you don't have a speed ring it may be hard to get it perfect. I use Slick Tricks and they group really well out of my Vortex. The Ramcats should shoot good also out of your Axiom. Good luck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
buckinnuts

Post by buckinnuts »

robertyb wrote:The Axiom scope is preset for 150 grain points. Shooting a 125 Swacker will add a tad of speed so you should hit a little higher at longer ranges. I would not think that out to 40 yards it would change POI enough to worry about.
So if i got the 125 swhackers to weigh identical to the boltcutters with different inserts..i should be ok?..is that right for me to think that?
GO STEELERS! GO PENGUINS!...I bleed black n gold!
buckinnuts

Post by buckinnuts »

Hester0305 wrote:The swhackers should shoot right with your field points. Try shooting only one arrow and sight in at 20 yards with the swhacker and then take the same arrow and shoot it at 30 yards and use the next chevron ane see where it hits. If it still hits low I would sight in about 1.5 to 2 inches high at 20 and you should be real close at 30 yards. Since you don't have a speed ring it may be hard to get it perfect. I use Slick Tricks and they group really well out of my Vortex. The Ramcats should shoot good also out of your Axiom. Good luck
I will try it...i do inly shoot 1 arrow..so i wont mess them up by hitting them
strum

Post by strum »

buckinnuts wrote:
robertyb wrote:The Axiom scope is preset for 150 grain points. Shooting a 125 Swacker will add a tad of speed so you should hit a little higher at longer ranges. I would not think that out to 40 yards it would change POI enough to worry about.
So if i got the 125 swhackers to weigh identical to the boltcutters with different inserts..i should be ok?..is that right for me to think that?
that may work
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
buckinnuts

Post by buckinnuts »

Ok changed inserts to a 47 grain insert lined up the blades vertical..and.they shoot like the boltcutters now...dead on at all yardages out to 50...still going to look into a better scope..so thanks for all the tips and comments
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

buckinnuts wrote:Ok changed inserts to a 47 grain insert lined up the blades vertical..and.they shoot like the boltcutters now...dead on at all yardages out to 50...still going to look into a better scope..so thanks for all the tips and comments
One thing to maybe consider.....when you line up the blades so they sit verticle, if one opens prematurely for whatever reason, the blade will hit the stirrup and send that arrow WAY off the mark. I keep mine horizontal for tht reason.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

nchunterkw wrote:
buckinnuts wrote:Ok changed inserts to a 47 grain insert lined up the blades vertical..and.they shoot like the boltcutters now...dead on at all yardages out to 50...still going to look into a better scope..so thanks for all the tips and comments
One thing to maybe consider.....when you line up the blades so they sit verticle, if one opens prematurely for whatever reason, the blade will hit the stirrup and send that arrow WAY off the mark. I keep mine horizontal for tht reason.
So do I, Had my first kill w/my swhackers, and boy do they do the job, :)

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm glad it worked for you. Don't count on it for all applications, though

You may have equalized the arrow weight, but the boltcutter is mounted at the tip of your arrow. The insert is somewhat back. That changes the BALANCE of your arrow, and sometimes that can make a big difference. This time it didn't, which is lucky.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
buckinnuts

Post by buckinnuts »

Hi5 wrote:

I'm glad it worked for you. Don't count on it for all applications, though

You may have equalized the arrow weight, but the boltcutter is mounted at the tip of your arrow. The insert is somewhat back. That changes the BALANCE of your arrow, and sometimes that can make a big difference. This time it didn't, which is lucky.
Once i get something that works great i stay with it...like my compound i fiinally switched to carbons after all these years...still not sold on them...just got done siting in
buckinnuts

Post by buckinnuts »

I liked the cut they put on the deer but i am alittle dissapointed in the quality...put 32 arrows into the buck and 3of the 4 blades broke..so how did they shoot into a steel drum and none broke....all i hit was ribs....1st arrow throug 1 lung n liver...2nd arrow to finish.it faster...but still...not happy about having to replace blades already
rej

Post by rej »

The shadow zone scope I have lets me adjust for speed and I have tried a number of different bh of varying weights. Get a set of 150 gr. slick trick xbow magnums in lieu of a new scope. You will be back to index weight and they fly same as field pints, in my experience. I have switched to the 175 gr. xbow trick and they too fly to same poi as field point.
Foonus

Post by Foonus »

rej wrote:The shadow zone scope I have lets me adjust for speed and I have tried a number of different bh of varying weights. Get a set of 150 gr. slick trick xbow magnums in lieu of a new scope. You will be back to index weight and they fly same as field pints, in my experience. I have switched to the 175 gr. xbow trick and they too fly to same poi as field point.
Hes onto something here too, since if you have a heavy bolt and replace a heavy (150gn+) tip with something lighter you will affect the FOC almost too dramatically and this will be more visible the further you shoot.

My guess is up with some of the other posters, that the broadheads may be partially opening on you in flight or on release. Only other thing would be is if you are using a really heavy bolt with a light tip as described above. Personally there are too many variables when it comes to the mechanical, after grouping 3 muzzy crosskill's fixed broadheads into a dollar coin grouping at 50 yards I have stopped messing around with bolt building and moved onto more hunting!
Muzzy (the muzzler) is also one of my dog's names so ya... I'm biased :mrgreen:

Where did you pick up your slick trick 175's in Alberta???! Would be interested in trying them out with my 22'' larger game bolts.
\\\\\___________________\"-._
/////~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/.-'

Equinox/Tact-Zone/FFF String/S-5/TAC Pak
CX Maxima Hunter 20'' W/ Muzzy Crosskill 125gn. Total 413gn.
Leupold RX-1000 TBR DNA
buckinnuts

Post by buckinnuts »

I actually have them flying great...but just unhappy with the way they.break the blades...no big deal but...will get costly...lol..but the wy they are designed i can se why...not much. Metal between pivot hole and edge