Grim Reaper Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

petey

Grim Reaper Broadhead

Post by petey »

I am shooting 2012 Equinox with 425gr arrow with Grim Reaper 100gr broadheads and I was told that to keep the grim reapers from opening as it come out of the bow I needed to add a couple dental braces rubber bands which I did and last weekend I shot a doe and I noticed that the broadhead didn't open on entry but on the inside and she didn't run 60 yards and thats it but my question is does anyone have any input about grim reapers out of crossbows? do I even need rubber bands at all?
mchurch

Re: Grim Reaper Broadhead

Post by mchurch »

I also shoot an Equinox. I did quite a bit of testing with the Grim Reaper razortip crossbow version. It always seemed that one blade would open up quite a bit easier than the other 2 blades. I had several premature deployment issues. I never tried banding them, but they were the crossbow version. I never trusted them enough to take them hunting. The most reliable mechanicals that I have used out of my Equinox are the Excalibur X act, Swhacker, NAP Spitfire and the G5 T3 crossbow version.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Dont add a thing. The Reaper is one of the best machnicals going. When they hit they open on entery and have no trouble with pass throughs.
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
wabi

Post by wabi »

mchurch wrote:I also shoot an Equinox. I did quite a bit of testing with the Grim Reaper razortip crossbow version. It always seemed that one blade would open up quite a bit easier than the other 2 blades. I had several premature deployment issues. I never tried banding them, but they were the crossbow version. I never trusted them enough to take them hunting. The most reliable mechanicals that I have used out of my Equinox are the Excalibur X act, Swhacker, NAP Spitfire and the G5 T3 crossbow version.

I tried them (several years ago - so it was not the new "crossbow" version) in an Exocet (175# model) and had the same concerns. It seemed like one blade was often deployed when they hit the target. I didn't trust them enough to hunt with them either.
wabi
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

mchurch wrote:I also shoot an Equinox. I did quite a bit of testing with the Grim Reaper razortip crossbow version. It always seemed that one blade would open up quite a bit easier than the other 2 blades. I had several premature deployment issues. I never tried banding them, but they were the crossbow version. I never trusted them enough to take them hunting. The most reliable mechanicals that I have used out of my Equinox are the Excalibur X act, Swhacker, NAP Spitfire and the G5 T3 crossbow version.
X2 on the Swhacker,s :wink:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

shot 6 deer last year with reapers no need to band to them. they worked great so far shot 2 deer this year one with a spitfire one with a swacker they work good also. testing a couple others
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Used them one season briefly and harvested a young buck with no problems. I found them pinpoint accurate, however they seem a little flimsily held together. I switched to Spitfires and have never looked back. :)

PS

I did band them for good measure.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
mooboy

Post by mooboy »

I've got some 125 gr crossbow Razercuts coming. I'll let you know how they fly out of my Axiom.
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

X3 on the Swhackers
I love the smell of damp rotting leaves in the morning
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I use the dental elastics on all my mechanicals for insurance.

The dental elastics are made very well and I replace them on my broadheads every season.

Sure, the Reapers and the NAP Spitfires, and all those other broadheads that do not require elastics, they work fine. However, with use, the retention unit will wear and eventually fail. I contacted a couple of the manufacturers and no one was willing to tell me how many shots their system could make until it failed.

So, I decided to band them. I only use one of the dental elastic, but, I have tested them with two elastics. Both on paper targets and in the field hunting. It works just fine . . .never had a failure.

You must use a paper test to really see a premature opening. The "over the top" mechanicals will make a mark just like a fixed blade because it's opened upon contact. Some of the mechanicals open after initial entry.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mooboy

Post by mooboy »

Did you try any out? I finally got mine and will be getting out next weekend for a test shoot.