Notice alot of hunters use smaller bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Re: Notice alot of hunters use smaller bows

Post by wheelie »

flightattendant100 wrote:
joe171 wrote:Chuck Smaller and Lighter xbows ?
if you get too look at the pix from Boo Fest at the gray hairs there you will under stand why smaller and lighter xbows :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! lol
Me also. We can flip a coin. LOL
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

if you get too look at the pix from Boo Fest at the gray hairs there you will under stand why smaller and lighter xbows :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A-A-A-AHEM!!!! :evil:

:lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have Mad Max & i have had couple of E'cet 200's & 2 phoenix's. Some need the speed of faster models, while others do well the in between models. Then thar be a good many that are jus good & can do the job with the easier to handle more comfortable out of a tree stand & other stands n blinds. Its no secret my go to choice is Miss Vixen. There ain't any game animal that i can't kill in North America with her. Ppl. go up n down in poundage & models so its all good. I get the best use out of Mad Max testin string n servin materials! Like anything you do in life the more you do it the better you get until you reach the brain fart era! JMO :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Another influence that hasn't been mentioned is the cost. Being in good physical condition, I can load a 225# crossbow all day long, but entering the sport a freshman at 46 yrs old, I don't think it would have been the best choice to start with the largest crossbow. My wife and father actually chose an Axiom to get me as a gift, but the dealer offered them a grear deal on a Phoenix. I've since had the chance to discharge heavier Excal bows and feel I have an excellent all round performing crossbow for the money.

I think each application has it's place and purpose, if I was moose hunting, I'd be looking at a higher poundage Xbow. The larger Xbow wouldn't be for killing power, so much as the distance it can be fired at would be more beneficial knowing moose populations are not as high as deer. I'm pretty sure if I could get within 40 yrds, my Phoenix would be able to drop a moose with a well placed shot, but an Equinox would probably give me a few more yards, which will equate to my advantage.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
ShaneInMN

Post by ShaneInMN »

Flatter trajectory is the biggest factor. Even then, you're pretty close between 250-350 fps out to 30 yards, past then the difference in arrow drop really shows.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/conten ... ballistics

As was said arrow placement being the most important as far as assuring a kill. These big game will drop if hit in the heart with an arrow delivering 40lb KE or better and every model Excalibur will deliver that much out to 50 yards with a 400gr arrow.

Comes down to personal preference IMO!

I know my Ibex would be able to take out a bear at 30 yards no problem, and it's one of the slower bows!
Ibex SMF - 11/23/12 - The greatest regret in my crossbow experience was not buying a recurve first
ch312

Post by ch312 »

taz3 wrote:I'm pretty sure if I could get within 40 yrds, my Phoenix would be able to drop a moose with a well placed shot, but an Equinox would probably give me a few more yards, which will equate to my advantage.
seeing as the exomax can be used to take an elephant, i highly doubt your phoenix will have any problem getting enough penetration on a moose at 40 yards with proper arrows and placement.

today, with everyone wanting more speed, people seem to forget that all the animals we hunt in north america can and have been taken with 50# long bows throwing arrows at 175 fps :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hemlock Ranger

Post by Hemlock Ranger »

Just my 2 cent.s. I think being or getting close is the name of the game. My Axiom did very well for me this year. The deer were all about 20 yards and the bear was 17 yards and was a complete pass through. When I have trouble getting them in close I will have to go big. At least that is what I will tell my wife when I come home emptyhanded!
lscha

Post by lscha »

It's not NICE to vex Vixenites!! :twisted: :twisted:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381