slick trick question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cooterdog

slick trick question

Post by cooterdog »

So this question is about how well do slick tricks broad heads shoot compared to matching weight in a different brand field point? Like using Excalibur's say 150gr field points and 150gr slick tricks.
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers
Woodspike

Re: slick trick question

Post by Woodspike »

All things being equal... It doesn't matter which brand, so long as the weight is the same.
Just make sure the vanes have enough helical to keep the broadhead from planing, and they should hit damn near the same hole.
cooterdog

Post by cooterdog »

Woodspike wrote:All things being equal... It doesn't matter which brand, so long as the weight is the same.
Just make sure the vanes have enough helical to keep the broadhead from planing, and they should hit damn near the same hole.
That's what I thought Woodspike thanks. I was able to get 150gr tips to sight in with so I intend to shoot 150 slicks. As for helical right now I'm still using factory firebolts but plan to switch to Arizona EZ fletch and X-Vanes if I can.
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers
Tennessee Tom

Post by Tennessee Tom »

I have 3 quivers of bolts 1 with field tips the other 2 are Slick Trick s 1 quiver with the 100 grn 1 1/8 th width and the other with 125 1 1/8 width and 2 Excals one sighted in for the 125 the other for the 100 so ,,which bow I want to hunt with I just swap field tips to check zero and go hunting same impact out to 50 yards at around 16% foc !
cooterdog

Post by cooterdog »

Tennessee Tom wrote:I have 3 quivers of bolts 1 with field tips the other 2 are Slick Trick s 1 quiver with the 100 grn 1 1/8 th width and the other with 125 1 1/8 width and 2 Excals one sighted in for the 125 the other for the 100 so ,,which bow I want to hunt with I just swap field tips to check zero and go hunting same impact out to 50 yards at around 16% foc !
When shooting my field points I seen very little dif at 40 yards with 100gr and 150gr.
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

When shooting my field points I seen very little dif at 40 yards with 100gr and 150gr.
I posted an opinion on poi between 100 and 125 gr fps a few years back, guy had a 6" shift at 30 yds.

I shot a few 125's at 30, the shafts were touching the 100's.
"Eze 18:21"
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I guess a lot depends on the arrow your using. I shoot a 447 gr arrow with 100 gr slicktrick and heavy foc and to get same poi out to 50 yds I have to shoot a 125 practice tip With my vixen. in my vortex I shoot a 522 gr arrow with a 125 gr slicktrick and have to use a 150gr fieldpoint to get the same poi out to 50yds as the slicks. so the slicks shoot low for me in both bows with the same weight slicks and field points . but both bows are dead on shooting a 25gr heavier fieldpoint than the slick.
cooterdog

Post by cooterdog »

Masboy wrote:I guess a lot depends on the arrow your using. I shoot a 447 gr arrow with 100 gr slicktrick and heavy foc and to get same poi out to 50 yds I have to shoot a 125 practice tip With my vixen. in my vortex I shoot a 522 gr arrow with a 125 gr slicktrick and have to use a 150gr fieldpoint to get the same poi out to 50yds as the slicks. so the slicks shoot low for me in both bows with the same weight slicks and field points . but both bows are dead on shooting a 25gr heavier fieldpoint than the slick.
Thats interesting I will have to watch for that
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I started shooting 125gr slick tricks this year and also saw that they were slightly low (less than 1") compared to 125gr FPs. I attributed it to the extra drag the 4 blade head has versus a field point.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

nchunterkw wrote:I attributed it to the extra drag the 4 blade head has versus a field point.
Very good point... I had not thought of that!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

There is some drag and the blade surface is considerable since it has four blades. The same reason I love the Slick Tricks is the same reason I decided to use a mechanical when I hunt.

The Slick Tricks have a lot of cutting surface, which is super. We do kill via blood loss, so, the more cutting, the better.

However, the more cutting surface you have exposed to the wind the more drag, the more planning . . .the more things that can go wrong. Especially at the high speeds that we shoot.

Even small imperfections in the blades will show up when shot at over 300 FPS. I had a slight imperfection in a Wasp blade and it was off target by 8 inches at 30 yards. It was such a slight imperfection that I couldn't even tell by just looking. I replaced the blade and it flew straight again.

Small imperfections in the tiller will show up too with more blade exposed to the wind.

Anyway . . .my point is . . .the faster your arrow, the more precise the arrow/broadhead has to be and be better your equipment has to be.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i don't think, at least i never seen slick trick brand target tips to match there BH....like much was said weight is weight as long as the same from BH to TT :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I looked up some of my old acurracy test and from a benchrest switching from a 100gr fieldtip to a 125 gr made about 1/2 inch difference at thirty yards. but broadheads are different at longer range espectally . once you put a broadhead on you have a totally different arrow. I shoot testing them out to 80 yds on my best arrows and I can usually get fieldpoints too shoot the same poi as my broadheads by changing the tip weight but never have shot the same broadhead and fieldpoint weight at that distance with the same poi.I thought my small short rocket steelheads would but they shot lower too. so blades,shape,lenth all make a difference at short and long range but more noticable at long range.I get about as good of groups on calm days from good broadheads but not the same poi as fieldpoints without some changes in tip weight. I sight in with the broadhead I want too shoot that groups great then make my practice arrows with whatever tips it takes to match my broadheads. I,m not stuck on a certain weight fieldpoint.I just want a fieldpoint I can practice with that shoots same poi as my broadhead.