Lost Another One

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maine hunter

Re: Lost Another One

Post by maine hunter »

:D i try to stick in the 30-35 yard range. everybody has different shooting ranges. i was thinking on trying the exact bh too. they looks like they would fly like a fieldpoint. like somebody said earlier,someone might have found the deer,and took it.good luck hunting.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Bones

Post by Bones »

What bow have you got ?
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I have only shot at, and hit, one deer beyond 30 yds. 20-25 is my comfort zone. If you are hunting from the ground, aim low, but not at 45 yds, as a high hit will not put a hole low enough for the blood to drain, just bleed out internally. I learned this from a doe at 22 yds , high double lung hit and she ran 300 yards. The blood trail was so light I was on my hands and knees looking for specks.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

well, these things will happen.. i too wouldn't shoot out to 45 yards.. yes excals are deadly accurate and those BH's will fly true, but it's just too iffy... i also had an issue with the excal BH's, i had the 150 grain bolt cutters and lost a deer... i switched to the 125 grain wasp fixed blades.. a broadhead i've had much success with in the past.. i don't care how good of a hunter you are, you sometimes lose one.. chin up buddy and get back at 'er
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
slider

Post by slider »

va3cgt wrote:Thanks for the replies.
That's the longest shot I've ever taken. Checked it with my rangefinder. I figure I got a little impatient because I was losing light. I should have let her pass. All my shots in the past have been under 25 yards. I lost one shooting from the ground and this one and another have been lost shooting from a tree stand. Looks like I don't take into account the elevation change.
You said it ..."should have let her pass"......35 maybe but not 45

You did a good job of trying to recover her.

Keep it a little closer next time!
2008 Phoenix
Illuminated FireBolts
100 g spitfires
Varizone
Flemish String

Always try your best!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Sometimes it's just hard to pass. . .I'm bad for that, so, I started setting up my hunting lanes to where I only have a max 30 yard shot. I can't even see the deer coming. Good thing is, they are within range when I see them. The bad thing is, I better be ready because I don't have much time to get the shot off.

Stay after 'em.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

I'll only shoot no longer than 25 yards I've learned my lesson and the only one that gained were the coyotes. My buddy always told me if you wait there is always a better shot and if it doesn't happen it wasn't meant to be.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Let them get closer or let them pass. I will not shoot over 30 yards.
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Sopchoppy wrote:I have only shot at, and hit, one deer beyond 30 yds. 20-25 is my comfort zone. If you are hunting from the ground, aim low, but not at 45 yds, as a high hit will not put a hole low enough for the blood to drain, just bleed out internally. I learned this from a doe at 22 yds , high double lung hit and she ran 300 yards. The blood trail was so light I was on my hands and knees looking for specks.
Yep. That's my guess. I hit a little too high.
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

slider wrote:
va3cgt wrote:Thanks for the replies.
That's the longest shot I've ever taken. Checked it with my rangefinder. I figure I got a little impatient because I was losing light. I should have let her pass. All my shots in the past have been under 25 yards. I lost one shooting from the ground and this one and another have been lost shooting from a tree stand. Looks like I don't take into account the elevation change.
You said it ..."should have let her pass"......35 maybe but not 45

You did a good job of trying to recover her.

Keep it a little closer next time!
We crossed the bush all day, and nothing.
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Bones wrote:What bow have you got ?
Exomag
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Water may have played a role. This past November I had a rifle hit deer swim across 200 yards of ice-cold beaver pond. The blood trail was decent and improving leading up to the water's edge. Despite witnessing the exact spot where the buck emerged from the water, there was zero blood after that and unfortunately we lost him.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

va3cgt, Things do happen! When it happens more than once yer not learnin yer lesson at the deer's expense! Its not the BH its the shooter, its not the model its the shooter. There i said what most try to avoid a face to face contact. Yeah i busted yer chops but its only verbally written. Wait fer closer shots, jus cause the deer gave you a chance doesn't mean its the last one on that deer. I passed on at least 25 deer this yr & all shots were less than 40 yds & clear. I knowed fer youngger ppl its so hard to pass but in the end its best fer you n the deer.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Knight

Post by Knight »

I don't think 45 yards is even for those that practice the most.

A deer can do too much in the time it takes for a bolt to travel that distance.

IMHO it is an unethical shot to take.
slider

Post by slider »

Knight wrote:I don't think 45 yards is even for those that practice the most.

A deer can do too much in the time it takes for a bolt to travel that distance.

IMHO it is an unethical shot to take.
Agree

Most of us have made this mistake....learn from it and wisdom will help refrain from long shots...after all we are archery hunting and the whole goal is to get close...close is exciting!
2008 Phoenix
Illuminated FireBolts
100 g spitfires
Varizone
Flemish String

Always try your best!