OT: question about youth compund or recurve

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ottawacats

OT: question about youth compund or recurve

Post by ottawacats »

First off this will be for my son who is currently 5 and will turn 6 in sept. He is waiting a bow of some kind so he can shot like dad. I have been reading online what type and the different brands. My problem is I have no clue about compound or recurve as I have never shot or held one in over 15 years. We did do some recurve shooting in high school. So my question is what do you start with compound or recurve? I have read some good reviews about the PSE mini burner and Bowtech diamond infinite edge. I did speak to a local shop here and they said under 10 of age they should use recurve due to the recoil of a compound. Again I have no clue and Im just looking for some input. Oh the budget is the 300 range and used isnt a problem if I can find one.

Thanks,
Matt
Woodspike

Re: OT: question about youth compund or recurve

Post by Woodspike »

I'd say start him on a recurve/longbow...
3 Rivers has just about everything you'd need to get him set up right.

http://search.3riversarchery.com/nav/cat1/youth/0
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

For my grandsons 6th birthday I got him a Bear Brave 2 recurve bow package.
Now that he going to be 8 this year going to jump to an Apprentice package.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Boo

Post by Boo »

Recurve.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Colton is a little older at 10 but very small for his age.This Christmas he got a Diamond Atomic compound bow.It is a pretty nice bow set-up. Dr Wt. ajusts from 6-24lbs and dr length from 14-24in. ( or somewhere abouts those numbers) He loves it and just about hasnt put it down since Christmas.I have to pry it out of his hands to shower! All in all its a pretty well set up deal and easy to shoot.
secret

Post by secret »

This last black friday i was in Gander Mountain and seen Barnett Vortex bows on sale with a free bow case . I bought 2 for my best friends girls . They are 18-35 pound compound with adjustable draw lenght cams. Sites,rest,3 arrows[carbon] bow quiver. they shoot pretty fast too. 180fps. they cant stop shooting these bows. They also sell one thats 18-45 lbs camo could hunt with that one. The bows i got the girls are black with red cams. their 8 and 10. there about 79.00 dollars for the bow kit.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
ottawacats

Post by ottawacats »

Thank you for the advice. I guess now a trip to the bow shop is in order to get him a longbow/recurve.

Matt
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I wouldn't rule out a compound too quickly. My three kids have gone through a pile of bows in the past few years, both compound and recurve, and both serve a great purpose, but for very different reasons.
If it is his goal to "shoot like Dad", then a compound may be in your best interest, if you are teaching the fundamentals of archery, then a recurve is the way to go.
Little boys see that bow the way we do, as a machine, a compound bow will prove to be more accurate at longer ranges for those times when you are shooting together, it also instills a sense of confidence because there are less variables to the accuracy when they learn on bow with sights and a rest.
We do a lot of shooting here, they choose their bow based on what I am doing, if I use my recurve, so do they, if I have my compound or crossbow, they do too. If it is your goal to have him feel more like Dad, then it is probably best get him something as cosmetically close to what you are using to keep the interest up.
At 5, my son got a little Bowtech, he has since outgrown it, but I did note that whenever I was shooting my compound or crossbow, that was his go-to bow. On his own, he would choose the recurve.
They outgrow compounds fast! Which can make a recurve a bit more appealing to Dad.
There are some fine youth compounds on the market, most allow for a little bit of growth and can be forgiving as they enter the learning curve of archery.
My opinion, if the little fellow is adamant about trying to duplicate you (best feeling in the world!), then equip him properly. If Dad is zinging arrows at 30 yards, and he is shooting 10 feet in front of the bag, he may be discouraged. A few months of practice with a compound and you will be standing shoulder to shoulder with him at 20 yards, and that is tough to beat.
If you go with a recurve for him, do both of you a favor, and get one for you too, learn together.

Here is my boy at 6, 10 now. A finger shooter, as much as I have tried to veer him from that he still does it. His answer is always "when you out shoot me with a release, I'll try one"

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I started my nephew off with a Diamond compound made by Bowtech they have a model that will adjust a lot in draw length and weight. The bow doesn't weigh a lot and comes with a package deal. I upgraded the arrows and bought him a youth release all for under $300.00. I can't remember the model right off hand but I was amazed how good he got with it in such a short time. Good luck getting him started.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hester0305 wrote:I started my nephew off with a Diamond compound made by Bowtech they have a model that will adjust a lot in draw length and weight. The bow doesn't weigh a lot and comes with a package deal. I upgraded the arrows and bought him a youth release all for under $300.00. I can't remember the model right off hand but I was amazed how good he got with it in such a short time. Good luck getting him started.
That bow is the Nuclear Ice. A fine bow!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
86er

Post by 86er »

I got my son a Bear Apprentice II when he was 6 yrs old. It adjusts without a bow press from 15" draw and 15# to 27.5" draw and 60#. He started at 15/15 and is now 7 yrs old and has it at 15/25. It comes with sights, quiver, string loop, peep, whisker biscuit, ready to shoot. The 3 pins are set for 10, 20 and 25 yds and he has no problem hitting an 8" bullseye. He's using a release and Easton Jr. "40 lbs" arrows with 75 gr tips and cut to 22". Unless he grows over 6ft or has really long arms he can probably shoot this bow forever, eventually getting new arrows and upgrading accessories. The list price is $279. I highly recommend it!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Pydpiper wrote:
Hester0305 wrote:I started my nephew off with a Diamond compound made by Bowtech they have a model that will adjust a lot in draw length and weight. The bow doesn't weigh a lot and comes with a package deal. I upgraded the arrows and bought him a youth release all for under $300.00. I can't remember the model right off hand but I was amazed how good he got with it in such a short time. Good luck getting him started.
That bow is the Nuclear Ice. A fine bow!
Thanks that is the same bow I started him out with looking at your picture they also make one with pink camo limbs for the girls. Great shooting bows!
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads