New Member Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Yonder

New Member Matrix 380

Post by Yonder »

Hi All,
Very informative forum!
Initially I was in the market for a new crossbow to extend my hunting season, I decided on the Equinox over Christmas. Money in hand I went into Bass Pro and got word that Excalibur was coming out with the Matrix, I didn't want to be sorry that I purchased the Equinox over the Matrix and kick myself later, Bass pro said they probably wouldn't be getting any in until probably April so I went "HUNTING" to find one.
So I did, it arrived on Wednesday in a box that I was sure could not hold a crossbow, and lite stuff package "so small" but it did. Assembled it in less than 10 minutes and it is beautiful.
Now, I have never used a crossbow before, and from reading some posts I feel pretty intimidated with the crossbow terms ect.. I don't know where to start ie. what accessories I need, practice arrows, whats the best to use, targets, trigger lock?, best cases, sling ????????
I think you get what I mean, I'm sure if I go through some of the old posts I'll get my answers but if you guys could give me some quick food for thought knowledge I would appreciate it.
I couln'd figure out how to post a pic. reducing the size.

Regards,
Yonder
taz3

Re: New Member Matrix 380

Post by taz3 »

Depending on your hunting travels, a soft case is a great idea, but if you're traveling where the Xbow maybe bumped and banged, a hard case with the xbow broke down would be better. Targets, there are the bag style and foam, the rag type is good for field points and can be home made, the foam block are better for broadheads. Field points are for practice and broadheads for hunting and many folks seem to have a personal preference to a particular one. If your not sure which to buy, just post here and the folks will give you so info on them.

Although, the Xbows can with stand dry fire, avoid it, if and when it happens, check the limbs for splinters with a cotton ball.

I've only been around Xbows a year and the help here is second to none, and there is no such thing as a stupid question. :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome to the forum! I think your bow came as a package deal. The minimum weight arrows it can handle are 350 gr, which 'require' a 150 gr tip on the arrows in the kit.

We all experiment w/ our xbows, just thought you should know this........

How are you liking yours?

Edited to add; weighed my new found Diablo's today, 100 gr will make min weight, sorry for the 'bum skinny', lol.
Last edited by awshucks on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eze 18:21"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome!! i'm sure your gonna love your bow, you can't beat an excal. i have the soft case for mine, really like it. but you will have alot more choices with your new bow,it,s smaller and not as wide as other excal's,so there is alot more for you to choose from. the people are great here,ask away and they will help all they can. good luck and keep us posted on that bad boy!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum! First off where are you from that will help alot!
As someone has said there is no stupid questions!As far as a trigger lock not a law in Canada,I have a bag targrt for field tips and a rinehart target for broad heads which will take feild tips as well!A Danny Miller arrow puller is a good thing along with a rope cocker,stringing aid and your set! :)
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum lots of great people and info here .
Yonder

Post by Yonder »

Thanks for the replies guys, some good advice. Unfortunately I really don't know when I'll get a chance to shoot it, to be honest since I got it the only time I have had a chance to look at it was when I assembled it, half hour?

It seems I'm either working or on the go all the time, just sat down now since my morning coffee at the computer. I'll let you all know how it goes soon, I just wanted to be ahead of the game getting my gear together before you guy's scoop it all up.

Regards,
Yonder