scope ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ngamokai

scope ??

Post by ngamokai »

as I am buying a Matrix I am thinking about scopes, out of the reviews I have seen so far, 90% of new matrix owners are saying the scope is average at best, now where I hunt quite often you need FAST acquisition as things can happen pretty fast here, so I am thinking about getting a new scope sent with the bow, any suggestions? I have been looking at the HHA system and getting a leupold scope but it seems to me there is an awful lot of set up time and changing that dial on the fly in the bush under stress, I think could loose precious seconds and maybe a kill, I do not sit in blinds as I prefer to be active when hunting, I love the stalk.
so now the question comes up, which one? it has to be a good low light scope and it has to be super tough, as Im pretty hard on my kit, any opinions on the new xb30 compact?

cheers.
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
Boo

Re: scope ??

Post by Boo »

Distance you are shooting? Do you shoot in low light?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

Boo wrote:Distance you are shooting? Do you shoot in low light?

from 15 to 50 yards, low light absolutely, dawn, dusk, and in heavy cover sometimes, so light gathering must be good, also a LR is good.
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

For me you only get what you pay for. don,t see how you can go wrong with nikon or leupold for the money and both tough scopes and great glass. for me one crosshair and the top of the bottom duplex for longer shots an a lot of practice to know where your bow shoots at different distances. can,t be beat for hunting most game for me.I don,t like a bunch dots or whatever in my scope. all I try to do when I see game is to think how far and where do I hold an let it fly!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I would look at a 1.75X6 Leupold VXIII.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'm considering a Redfield 2x7 for my 380, but forgot to ask Danny Miller what the parallax is set for. I could live w/ 3 aimpoints.......How's yours working, Vix?

I saw one at Boofest last year that he sold to Vix, and liked the price, has lifetime warranty.........$150 on my porch........
"Eze 18:21"
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I installed a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm scope in dark earth finish and turkey plex reticle. I plan on sighting in a 25 yards center crosshair.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Normous

Post by Normous »

Dan,
Redfield has a new crossbow scope and reticle in 2-7 called the Revenge - 13.6 oz.
Check it out. Interesting.

http://redfield.com/redfield-revenge/
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Post by Normous »

Ngamokai

Take a look at Trijicons new crossbow scope. This is what you may like. Nice and light at 5.9oz

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/ ... G_Crossbow
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

ngamokai wrote:as I am buying a Matrix I am thinking about scopes, out of the reviews I have seen so far, 90% of new matrix owners are saying the scope is average at best, now where I hunt quite often you need FAST acquisition as things can happen pretty fast here, so I am thinking about getting a new scope sent with the bow, any suggestions? I have been looking at the HHA system and getting a leupold scope but it seems to me there is an awful lot of set up time and changing that dial on the fly in the bush under stress, I think could loose precious seconds and maybe a kill, I do not sit in blinds as I prefer to be active when hunting, I love the stalk.
so now the question comes up, which one? it has to be a good low light scope and it has to be super tough, as Im pretty hard on my kit, any opinions on the new xb30 compact?
I have the xb30 on my Equinox and have no complaints. I use Leupold vx3 on all my rifles and would not consider anything else. Think either one will serve you well.

cheers.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

enormous wrote:Dan,
Redfield has a new crossbow scope and reticle in 2-7 called the Revenge - 13.6 oz.

The reticule seems a tad 'busy' to me....I only take shots to 30-35 yds, maybe stretch to 40 w/ the Matrix, could easily live w/ the 3 aimpoints of the regular variable........
"Eze 18:21"
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

Hawke XB - 30
Normous

Post by Normous »

awshucks wrote:
enormous wrote:Dan,

The reticule seems a tad 'busy' to me....I only take shots to 30-35 yds, maybe stretch to 40 w/ the Matrix, could easily live w/ the 3 aimpoints of the regular variable........
The Revolution 2-7 is lighter too. Nice choice, I may pick one up too....Hmmm, maybe I'll stop at Cabelas in Dundee Mi on the way down. :)
Dad has the 2-7 on his .22 and I like it, so does he.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

This is the Nikon BoltXr scope mounted on my Equinox using Weaver medium rings.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)