Matrix 380 braodhead testing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Los11

Matrix 380 braodhead testing

Post by Los11 »

I am using a 175gr slick trick I was getting some fliers with the broad heads. I tuned it to the 175 field tips and it was on point and then when I tested the broadheads I was about 3inches to the left . I tried 100gr lick tricks and I was way low. Do you guys think going to a heavier arrow lighter braodhead would be better like a 390gr arrow with a 100gr head, also are you guys using the diablos or another bolt and are u leaving them at 20 or cutting them down to 18? I got 350fps with the diablos and the 175gr head but I have also added limbsavrs and string leeches for a more quiet bow and it really made a difference.
Lucky-Dog

Re: Matrix 380 braodhead testing

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Welcome to the forum.
Im sorry you are having trouble with the Slick Tricks. Those boogers are usually pretty close from what experience Ive had with them and not to mention the reviews. But now you are shooting a faster bow than I am so...
It seems a lot of the short and stiff vanes are working well with a lot of crossbows and broadheads. I really cant answer your question on what else you should try but I would like to ask what bolt and vanes are you using ?
I believe there are a few other reviews on the forum here from other Matrix owners and what they've used.
Best of luck.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Here is one I found and it seems that the faster bow does change things or they need a different vane ??? Not sure
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ad#p439608
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

you are going to be better off with 20" bolts with broadheads. With an 18" arrows your FOC is out of whack and putting a broadhead on the front is going to make it worse as its trying to steer the arrow, especially with a 175gr. You are also going to need a stiff bolt to get these to shoot great.
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

2 days because it didn't take me long :wink: also consulting with shooters that lost more knowledge than I'll ever have :mrgreen: I'm not saying you couldn't get them to shoot I'm saying you will be better off with 20" over a variety of broadheads. Thats what he posted, he's having problems with bh flight while not with field tips. He's not the first one I've heard say this and there will be others that report the same thing. I might get a 355
Camo Matrix 380
billygoat

Post by billygoat »

This is just a thought. I use 20" bolts with brass inserts and 100s.grain magnus stinger buzzcuts. They fly dead straight every time. Total weight is 425 grain.
I get 340fps from my equinox. These broadheads have been tested by many guys on the internet and after seeing the damage they do i am very impressed. I think using a 4" vane will help stabilise the arrow as well. I was never sold on an 18" bolt with blazers for the matrix and i think many new owners will end up using 20". I think like any new product the first six months will be testing time and users will come up with the perfect combination. Im sure it will be posted on this forum.
Slicks were a firm favorite for many hunters but maybe the extra speed has changed the dynamics. I am very interested to see the outcome of this discussion..
Equinox 225lb with S5 system
ShadowZone scope
Gold tip laser II - Firebolts - Horton lightning strike w luminoks.
Excalibur x-act 100g -Magnus stinger buzzcut 100g
If you love something set it free if it doesnt come back hunt it down and kill it!!
Big John

Post by Big John »

People may use 20" arrows all fine and Dandy.
But for me, I do not like my Razor sharp broadhead sticking out an inch or two in front of my stirrup.
Just my thoughts. To easy to hit the blind or climber or other and get knocked out when hunting. At least should be even with stirrup or less. But testing will tell alot of things. I personally am shooting 18"in. then a broadhead which will bring it to 19"in. And test many different arrow combo's and weights and stiffness, as well as FOC and then make a conclusion as to which is best for "My" shooting and Bow.
Others may very well find out something different.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

probably not SD :) I tested enough all I'm going to with the 18" I will however consult on whether you've shot the matrix 355?
Camo Matrix 380
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

you keep testing with that 380 and if I get that 355 I might holler at you :mrgreen:
Camo Matrix 380
sportsman70003

Post by sportsman70003 »

SD, What arrow set up are you shooting?
Suppressor 400 TD
Dragon Claw Arrows
Ravntek Broadheads
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

thats a darn nice buck!
Camo Matrix 380
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Big John wrote:People may use 20" arrows all fine and Dandy.
But for me, I do not like my Razor sharp broadhead sticking out an inch or two in front of my stirrup... And test many different arrow combo's and weights and stiffness, as well as FOC and then make a conclusion as to which is best for "My" shooting and Bow.
My Thoughts Exactly Big John! Sincerely hope you are getting Lots of testing in! I'll be counting on your Sage Advice once again when it comes time to collect a decent handful of The Best arrows for the Matrix 380!! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Matt
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Los11

Post by Los11 »

Well I revaned the bolts with blazer vanes and a right helical with the BH 175gr still getting a them going to the right a bit. I think goign to a 20 bolt isnt the answer for the Matrix and I aslo agree I dont want a bolt as long as my stirup. This week I will try some differfent bolt options and I am waiting for my Chrono to come in so I can test the speeds with different heads.

Now with the extra speed might be causing m BH to fly diff what about going to a mechanical head. I have never used a mechanical but i am gonna try it... I also am gonna ty some Maxima blue streaks aswell and cut them down to 18' with same vane combo..

I will be doing a ton of testing this up coming weekend so hopefully I figure it out..
Los11

Post by Los11 »

Swamp Donky wrote:
Los11 wrote:Well I revaned the bolts with blazer vanes and a right helical with the BH 175gr still getting a them going to the right a bit. I think goign to a 20 bolt isnt the answer for the Matrix and I aslo agree I dont want a bolt as long as my stirup. This week I will try some differfent bolt options and I am waiting for my Chrono to come in so I can test the speeds with different heads.

Now with the extra speed might be causing m BH to fly diff what about going to a mechanical head. I have never used a mechanical but i am gonna try it... I also am gonna ty some Maxima blue streaks aswell and cut them down to 18' with same vane combo..

I will be doing a ton of testing this up coming weekend so hopefully I figure it out..
I agree with you, L11! My guess is any fixed heads over 1" inch in diameter will be a challenge @ the speeds the Matrix pumps out. I've got some Standard 1" inch Slick Tricks on order and a few Muzzy 4 blade 100's I'm gonna run some tests with as soon as the weather cooperates. I've been getting some good results with the C/E's and G5 T3's. Looking forward to your findings... :wink:
Hey bro, yeah def i think too its the broadhead and the added speed of this baby I think maybe going to a 390gr and a 150gr head might be the combo but its cool we have both our info to go by keep testing so will I and we will get this thing dialed in perfect I mean its a beast hands down best crossbow..
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Good luck swamp donkey that would be a good one to break the matrix in on !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only