Reducing poundage on vixen 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cowslip

Reducing poundage on vixen 2

Post by Cowslip »

Hi all,
I want to reduce the poundage on my vixen 2 by 25lbs to 125lbs as I only use bow for target shooting. I shoot NFAS in the UK where we have to cock the bow by hand NO cocking aids allowed.
I understand an inch has to be removed from the rail to do this. Is the rail at the front solid or hollow? And is it possible to do this at all???? Thanks
Lucky-Dog

Re: Reducing poundage on vixen 2

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Yes you could do it but I personally would not want to try it. You might have the proper facility and equipment and that's great if you do or have access to it. You might try contacting Excalibur and explain what you are doing and they might help you. Another option Im sure you have already considered is buying an Apex target crossbow.
Good luck
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
tman74

Post by tman74 »

You could try and get your hands on a flat riser and swap them out. Also cocking by hand has the potential to negatively affect your accuracy. My Vixen was shooting all over the map while hand cocking. Once a rope cocker was used it became a ......."laser".Image

:)
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Cowslip

Post by Cowslip »

tman74 wrote:You could try and get your hands on a flat riser and swap them out. Also cocking by hand has the potential to negatively affect your accuracy. My Vixen was shooting all over the map while hand cocking. Once a rope cocker was used it became a ......."laser".Image

:)
Hi, have been down the flat riser route, no joy, we are only allowed to hand cock here in UK, stops people destroying 3ds with over powered bows,also we have a maximum 300 fps rule.
I've considered an apex, but that blue colour?
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

You could put lite limbs on, however, they would be black and you would probably only get around 110lb draw weight, possibly a bit more, my memory is starting to go. I use a Vixen 2 and a Phoenix for my NFAS but at my club some of the targets are not great so I have an old Vixen with lite limbs, it gives me around 244 FPS with a 350 grain bolt. MY lite limbs have mag tips (basically Apex limbs with mag tips, i think). As you will get a lot of arrow drop, some of our targets are a little over 70 yards you may struggle with scope options. I have straight risers on other bows (Y25 so i can use it for NFAS if I wanted) but on the Vixen you would probably only loose 10lb draw weight as I think there was only half an inch difference between the old and new Vixen. You can also put regular limbs on the Apex, but again you have a mix of colours and it works out a bit less than the Vixen with lite limbs. Overs the years I have done just about every variation, but when the NFAS brought in the 300 FPS rule and allowed scopes ( was a nightmare trying to shoot from 5 yard to 70 yard targets without a scope) it made it easier for me. As my Phoenix was perfect, however, they are no good if you struggle to cock them by hand for fifty or so shots. This is why we have very few women who shoot crossbow.
Steven in England