Ar/Ok Hog Hunt Report

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

Re: Ar/Ok Hog Hunt Report

Post by Carnivorous »

Looks like a blast congrat's on the harvest.

Hey Norm how about we trade Yellow perch for some hog meat??? :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Sounds like a good time all around.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and updates.

Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Sorry to hear Murf went with u guys & congrats to the others
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Looks like good times, congrats to all
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Normous

Post by Normous »

Tonight Patti and I ate fresh boar tenderloin that literally melted in our mouths. It was so so good!

Our time down at Awshucks place in Arkansas was too short, but in those few days some memories became etched in my mind that I'll never certainly never forget. Thank-you Dan for inviting Dave, Mikey and I and making this adventure a dream come true. I am very happy to have spent time with friends at such a unique place. I want to go back again.

The mountains and hills of the Ozarks surrounding Dan are just spectacular. Dan has a huge pond and a steep mountain starting right in his backyard. Many times day and night I stared and stared to take it all in. He is a lucky man to see this daily.

We came to hunt wild boar and we came for other reasons. Previously, we developed friendships through this forum and we took this friendship off-line and into the woods to hunt and Dan made sure it all happened. Dan set us up with a friend named Dale who owns Wild Boar Ridge, about an hour+ away.

Tuesday morning after one of the tastiest breakfasts ever we set out to meet Dale. Dan and Mikey chose a stand and Dave and I chose to spot and stock under Dale's guidence. Early morning fog and wet leaves made for some good stalking conditions. Dave and I both failed on our best attempts. Hogs are not easy to hunt this way. With Dale's help we both shot a small Russian Boar each.

Another reason for this trip was to acquire a new Matrix 380 which have been in short supply recently. Dan has connections and he had a new Blackout M380 sighted in and ready to hunt for me. Thanks Dan the M380 and Slicks perform very well on hogs.

Dale was a hoot and did the transporting in his Kaboto 4x4. He gutted, cleaned and hung our three hogs. Dan added a good sized one in the afternoon and shared it with Mike who had another battle with "Murphy" and missed a hog because his sights were off for no know reason.

When we packed up to leave Dale offered Dave and Dan a bagged pair of Mountain Oysters. Dave and Dan both shrugged their shoulders in an odd way and offered them to Dale. With a sly cowboy grin Dale said he was going straight home to cook em up and share the best part with his girlfriend. He smiled and mentioned somthing about being mountain oysters being an aphrodisiac. I might mention that Dale has a slim raven haired vixen type girlfriend that was noticably less than half his age. Some of these Arkansas boys may know a secret here and there.

That night after the hunt I lay on my cot in Dan's garage/shop drifting into a peaceful sleep. As I drifted off I could hear pigs oinking, snorting and grunting like they were right outside next to Dan's place. I opened my eyes and realized the sounds were coming from David on the other side of the shop. The next day during the drive home I asked david what he was dreaming about when he fell asleep the night before. "Pigs" David said.

Mikey presented me his special Custom Flemish sting gift in Blue/Black, my favorite.

Dan's shop and my Black M380 on the cot.

Wild Boar Ridge in the early morning fog.

Two photos of Dave and Dale stalking in on 4 sleeping hogs (left in photo). These boar hit Mach 4 when the realize they are being hunted. Not easy!

The boar are breeding well on the property, we say at least 3 litters. These one's were the smallest

My meat hog.

The Motley Crue, I don't know what is in the Mason jar.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
lscha

Post by lscha »

Thanks for the great story and the pictures.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's guys ... Looks likes loads of fun > Cool pic's as well !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Thanks for the update and photos.

Norm - Congratulations on your Matrix.

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Great job on the pictures Norm. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

GOOD STUFF!!!! Best of times!

One of these years Laura and I will crash Dan's place and bag hogs - right Laura?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Sounds like everyone had a great time, hog hunting is a lot of fun but its even better with a great group of friends. Congrats to everyone and thanks for the pics and updates
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Mornin to all of good ppl.'s We made it home last nite about 9 pm. Last 5 hrs of drive was lightnin -thunder pouring rain high winds goin thru the Ozark Mtns. I were one tire old man man when i laid me worn body down on the bed! Congrats to my Hog huntin partners fer job well done. Alas i was sure Murphy was wid masboy tues. but found out he has so many identical brothers it don't matter! :lol: Frustrated wid me BMW but its all on me fer not goin over every screw on her wid that long of drive & lots of back mtn gravel rds she bounced on. Front screw was missin & 3 limb strap screws were loose. Spect the Holo site has moved also, such is life. Next hunt she or whichever one i take will be in the hard case broke down. Then i will assemble & ck everything & shoot her prior to the loadin on Kubota atv fer the hunt. So even as old as i am i twas given another lesson on what will go wrong if'en you be too lazy to ck everything prior to the hunt! :lol: Now i so enjoyed the great members pydpiper & enormous we all had great time but jus too short. My time wid awshucks was too short the sickness on me Mrs & me jus messed up things that were planned then got canned!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Sure sounds like a great time was had by all. I guess this may have to be dropped into my bucket list!
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You meet the nicest people carrying crossbows! Great guests and company, had a lot of fun. :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Glad you all made it home safe ! could have been worse old murf he likes trucks,bows,sites , an anything he can help with . better luck next time an hope you all get well. nice story an pictures I enjoyed them in these days of cabin fever an glad to see most went well.