Vane size

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Vane size

Post by taz3 »

Does anyone know the minimum surf area that is optimum for vanes?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Lucky-Dog

Re: Vane size

Post by Lucky-Dog »

I have no idea. I searched the web for articles on the subject and the only thing I could find is where people argue about how it does not make sense how the 2 inch vanes can work as good as the 4 inch.
Are you experimenting again ??? :lol:
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Lucky-Dog wrote:I have no idea. I searched the web for articles on the subject and the only thing I could find is where people argue about how it does not make sense how the 2 inch vanes can work as good as the 4 inch.
Are you experimenting again ??? :lol:
Ya, I was wondering if I can trim them clean enough to find out where the break point is. I couldn't find anything in a search either, and I've been wonder how the taller 2" vanes don't create more drag with the increase surf of the edge, where the lower longer vanes should have less.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I think the biggest benefit you get from 2" vanes is that you are 2" further away from the center of the arrow, making it easier for the 2" vanes to steer the arrow. Same benefit you get when you move the fletching further back towards the nock. Not sure if the drag is more or less than the lower 4" vanes, but drag is what you want. That how the fletch works, and IMO why the helical fletch on the 2" works so well.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
secret

Post by secret »

Bohning makes a 1" x .4 blazer so i would think thats the smallest you could go.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

secret wrote:Bohning makes a 1" x .4 blazer so i would think thats the smallest you could go.

Just looked them up. They do not recommend them for fixed blades, but I guess they could work for a mechanical or for 3D. They are marketing them as weight savings, saying they weight 2 gr each. I also use Gateway Feather's Rayzr 2" feather. Steers like a Blazer and only weighs 1.4 grains each. That's like getting a free FOC increase.

Be interested to see if the 1" Micro Blazers help the guys shooting mechanicals and 18" arrows out of the Matrix bows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I shot the blazers that are a little smaller than the regular blazers an did not impress me in the wind or no wind an will just stay with the 2 inch ones.just got done the other day shooting the razors an love them just like my blazers .shot great an will be getting some more. blazers an razors for me !
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I would suggest buying a bottle of the "waterproofing powder". One bottle will probably last you the rest of your life. You just kind of rub it in and the Rayzrs repel water pretty good. I want to make some really cool looking arrows this spring using Rayzrs and splicing together some different colors. Check out Gateway Feathers website on how to do it.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><