Sunday Storm

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Sunday Storm

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,

We had a storm here on Sunday night and let me say that it was blowing hard. I have NEVER heard it blow so hard. We built this house in 1993 and we have lived here and NEVER before has the house made any noise from the winds to keep me awake. But on Sunday night the house creaked from one end to the other. The logs were cut and hauled out and sawed here with a portable saw mill. And this house is built strong, it is built with all full sized lumber from this property. All the interior walls are blocked at the four foot height. Apparently there were hurricane force winds blowing. I knew that we had never experienced any winds of that strength at this location before.

Also, on Sunday night at around 11:00 PM the Canadian Coast Guard Search and Rescue Station in Halifax received an alert from a search and rescue beacon from a fishing vessel that was apparently in trouble. It was discovered that the fishing vessel had capsized with 5 men aboard and there was 10 story waves out there that night. That was 100 foot waves. From previously being a commercial fisherman, I can tell you that that was not a place fit for no one to be at. A United States Coast Guard Airplane spotted a life raft the next day but it was found to be empty. All 5 men were lost. They were all from a small community not far from where I live. Say a prayer for the families of these fisherman.

Raymond
taz3

Re: Sunday Storm

Post by taz3 »

Wow, that is bone chilling to know, glad you're safe and we'll send a prayer those lost at sea. :(
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Raymond,

Glad to hear you and yours are safe and all right.

We will pray for those lost and their families.
rayman

Post by rayman »

That's scary stuff. :shock: I don't want any part of it. I don't think I've ever heard of a commercial boat having a tragidy like that where I fish, but unfortunately there are a lot of recreational fisherman that try to do too much in small boats and don't pay enough attention to the weather. I here the coast guard responding to distress calls all the time, even on nice days it seems. Man I've had 10' tiger sharks and 14' hammerheads (didn't think they got that big) around my boat, not interested in going in. Thinking about it is making my body numb.
secret

Post by secret »

Prayers sent for the fishing families.Everytime i watch the Perfect Storm i think of all those people that risk their lives for us to eat seafood.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

And you know, when you do it for a living you think nothing of it. Today, now that I can no longer do it, I think what the heck was I doing out there. You definitely have to love it to do it. I couldn't believe the wind that was making the house creak. It was a nasty night. It must have been real nasty for those 5 poor souls out there on that ocean. Greed will make you do terrible things.
Raymond
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Praying for them an there family's . would be a terrible way to go! I love the water but know it can be very dangerous an can take lives very quick if you don,t respect it an use good judgement.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Did you have a lot of limbs and stuff down? Or any roof damage or anything?
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Prayers for the families of the lost
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Geodehunter

Post by Geodehunter »

My prayers go out to all that were effected by the storm.
In God I Trust!!!
Hunt hard & Hunt safe, Robbie
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Canadian winters, I miss them down here in SO. I hope they find the fishermen. I have relatives on the rock and know the risk of going out. I went out a couple of times on their boats. The only thing worst is a Nov blow on lake Superior.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Good to hear no damage was caused to your place by the high winds.

Sad to hear the news of the lost fisherman. I fear the worst but hope for the best. :(
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Raymond I'm glad you and your family are ok I will send prayers to the families that were lost.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
The house and my family is all okay. Thank God for that. This past summer I had a contractor come and re-shingle my roof. And I asked him to make sure that his workers tarred down every shingle. I am thankful that I made sure that that was done. I live on top of a huge hill and it is wide open all around me. The size of my house lot is one acre and then I have my wood land in back and around me. That way no one can build a house to close to me. I do like to have some room, :) . I haven't been in the woods to see if there were any trees blown down. I will probably get my son to go with me to check it out.
The Canadian Coast Guard has called off the rescue mission and handed the case to the RCMP and it is now a recovery and investigation into what happened. There are no survivors. Most likely their bodies will never be recovered unless they were in their survival suits or some other flotation devices. They were so far out to sea that there is slim to no chance that their bodies will ever wash up on shore. That is so sad but it is a chance you take when you are a commercial fisherman. But to be out in that kind of weather is just pushing the limits. And this time the limits were broke, unfortunately. May they rest in peace.
Raymond