Broad Head and High Speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Broad Head and High Speed

Post by taz3 »

At what fps, does speed have significant in affecting arrow performance with broad heads? Is it after 330fps or higher then that when they need to be more precise?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
vixenmaster

Re: Broad Head and High Speed

Post by vixenmaster »

Dependin on the arrow but 360 fps on up get picky on what they like to shoot well or not well. I don't have anything that shoots that fast. All mine shoot less than 310 fps :)
Last edited by vixenmaster on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Taz, I think there are too many variables to your question to give a definitive answer. The type of broadhead,(fixed or mechanical).The brand of vane,bolt,and inserts all have important rolls in arrow accuracy. There are many arrow/broadhead combinations that are extremely accurate at speeds well above 330 fps.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
taz3

Post by taz3 »

UPSMAN wrote:Taz, I think there are too many variables to your question to give a definitive answer. The type of broadhead,(fixed or mechanical).The brand of vane,bolt,and inserts all have important rolls in arrow accuracy. There are many arrow/broadhead combinations that are extremely accurate at speeds well above 330 fps.
I'm referring to a fixed broad head.

What has my interest, is the new Matrix 380, seems be finicky with fixed broad heads. I was reading some early posts, that folks suggest to use a mechanical as it shoots more like a FP. After finding this with the comment that the higher the speed of the arrow, the less forgiving and more precise everything needs to be, so I was wondering at what speed this become relevant.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ain't but one way to find out, get those you want to ck & shoot'em :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

taz3

Post by taz3 »

vixenmaster wrote:Ain't but one way to find out, get those you want to ck & shoot'em :)
Yep and time to hit the math books for some calculations!
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Precision would increase in portion with speed . . .toward the end precision would kick in, but, I don't think you are going to find a speed bump.

For example, I think there is a big difference between 200 and 300 fps . . .but, can't really tell any between 280 and 300.

I had a broadhead that had the tip cut slightly off center . . .I should have used that and shot it out of my Vixen and then out of the Exomax and seen the difference in POI.

So, if you have two bows of different speeds . . .you could use the same imperfect arrow to determine some starting points . . .if you are bored. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
taz3

Post by taz3 »

This will be a backwards test 1 arrow and broad head with a bunch of different Xbows, to see which one will send the same arrow off the POI at what speed.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Boo

Post by Boo »

Taz, assuming a good arrow/broadhead set up it is all about how straight everything is during launch and during flight.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Here's [3] 125 gr Slicks at 25 yds from a 380 on the factory provided 18" arrows. I just spun them on and shot a group, no tuning.

I was checking them out for Enormous who ended up w/ my black Matrix, for a hog hunt. I used golf tee's to prevent arrow damage in case they robin hooded.
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Not all carbon nor alum. arrows will have a spine that will allow high speed with some fixed BHs. Thas where you go to stiffer spined & sometimes higher cost as you match the some of parts to equal the performance you seek. The faster you shoot the more you spend to get it right. I can tell you from readin many posts that GT II's jus don't cut it past 340-350fps. As Boo stated you need all components to be straight n sq from jump street or you get useless tests!
Half Bubble Off BD360

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

taz3 wrote:This will be a backwards test 1 arrow and broad head with a bunch of different Xbows, to see which one will send the same arrow off the POI at what speed.
Use a broadhead with a very slight defect. That will save you some time . . .same broadhead/arrow . . .a couple of different bows and you will see the difference.

The broadhead I had that was cut slightly off center was 6 inches off at 30 yards and travelling approx. 330 fps. I had another one that had slightly bent blades that was 10-12 inches off target, same speed.

These were very small imperfections . . .in fact, I could NOT see the bend of the blades until I took the blades off the broadhead and laid them on a flat surface, once I replaced the blades with new ones, the arrow/broadhead hit perfect.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Thanks for all the tips and advise. I'll start out with my Xbow and tweaks some broad heads, to see what kind of results happen at lower speeds of 300 fps. If they stay true I'll step it up to a faster model.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Not to overlook the affect of arrow spine on accuracy. IMO finding an arrow whose spine is compatible with that bow's speed should precede broadhead testing. Once I found an arrow (with sufficient spine) that shot well with field points, I got my best performance from expandable heads that don't open prematurely: Spitfires; and 4-bladed, low profile (short) fixed heads: Slick Trick, std and mags, on 430 gr arrows with 20% FOC, Blazer vanes set at right helical.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
secret

Post by secret »

A Gold Tip Lazer 4 is spined to 400fps a 3 is not[3s are the old 2s]
Using a squaring tool[G-5] arrows built from the right spine to start with ,then install broadheads and see which one will fly right. A underspined arrow will flex to much in flight decreasing accuracy.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string