My new rig

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

My new rig

Post by Masboy »

Old Murphy was a no show today so i got my rig the way I want it without any problems.I made a aluminum bracket an bolted it on using my stirrup holes an bolted the spool to it. dead inline with the rail in the center an it,s well balanced when holding the bow an not like a heavy real mounted on the side. I have a starter cord for the stirrup an had to make a longer one so not to interfere with the spool when cocking an hangs out of the way when shooting an works great.I am totally happy with this rig an now ready for some water an fish :D :D :D

JT of PA

Re: My new rig

Post by JT of PA »

Nicely done. Your a one man "Popular Mechanics" you are. :D

Thank you sharing your hard work with us ... very interesting.
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

That is cool. What is the orange gizmo near the barbed point and how does it work? Is this rig accurate to 10 yards?
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

That,s a safety slide that slides to the rear of the arrow in flight. very acurrate
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

What kind of arrow are you using and what kind of string?
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I,m using a muzzy fish arrow cut down an squared an drilled a new hole for the slide stop about 1-1/4 from the end. about 200lb line . simple just a 3" long x 2" wide 1/4 thick piece of aluminum an take the stirrup off an drill holes in the aluminum to match the stirup holes an bolt on an a hole for the spool drilled in the bottom of the aluminum an just bolt on any fish spool with the hole in the center.shot this morning an with the string hooked up to the arrow an I got better flight with the vanes removed. I was shooting 10yds this morning an deadly acurrate .don,t seem like to much power to me with the heavy line an heavy arrows.
secret

Post by secret »

Looks like a "CARPADARPER" rig to me!!!!!
Great job!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

My spools working great! tired of crooked fiberglass arrows so made a better arrow . took a 2117 xx 75 an put an 18 inch piece of maxima hunter 350 inside an 110 gr brass inserts in both ends an drilled an tapped the nock end of the brass insert as close to the rear as I could for the slide stop . then took a drill bit an reamed the inside of the slide out a little to fit the 2117 shaft . weight about 780gr an spun great then took it out to shoot with 100 grain tip.windy an gusts but shot at 10yds with the 200lb line attached an was hitting a 2inch square about every shot an dead on . no more crappy fiberglass arrows for me an I can use any tip I want . I have lots of old broadheads an will shoot some of them an the fish tips.
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

What are you using with out the stirup on crossbow?
Let me repharse how are you cocking the crossbow now?
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Bones

Post by Bones »

Really like seeing everyone's set up I've had a reel or bottle for years but never used it I have an alternate bow ( exo 200 ) that is crying to be rigged up , thanks keep the photo's coming. Bow fishing would be a complete new adventure for me.
Bones
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I use chainsaw starter cord on my bow an do not use an S5 an use the holes where the S5 would bolt an just put it in an a knot an make it any lenth I want.works great for me.also no long stirrup out front when hunting .
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just don't get the foot "stirrup" rope and the line on the reel crossed up and it should work great.

What all can you shoot with it in your state?
Ohio's laws are kind of strange IMO. You can shoot forage fish (carp, quillback, suckers, bowfin, gar, buffalo, gizzard shad, and goldfish) plus frogs & turtles with a vert bow, but only forage fish with a crossbow.
ARCHERY ANGLERS- Archery anglers may use bows of any weight pull. A fishing license is required. Longbows may be used to take bullfrogs, green frogs, snapping and softshell turtles, and forage fish. Crossbows may be used to take forage fish.
Sure wish I could use the Phoenix for getting a mess of frog legs. :roll:
wabi
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

We have year round open season an only allowed to shoot suckers,carp,flathead catfish,channel catfish with any bow.the river I live next to they have a limit of 5 channel cats,15 carp ,30 suckers per day an unlimited flathead catfish.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Nice job Masboy...... you could take out a Great White Shark with that baby :shock: :lol:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Pretty nice setup Masboy!

I gotta ask though...is there anything you haven't tried with your crossbow?? :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads