What do you carry out in the woods.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cdnarmyguy

What do you carry out in the woods.

Post by cdnarmyguy »

If been reading that a few people forget their cocking lanyard, arrow repair kit, restringer. So I just thought I ask what people bring with them.
I use an old set of 82 pat. webbing that we used from 1982 until 2000. When we received the new tack vests. It spray painted brn/blk/wht/green. I carry the following:
1.- 2lt water bottle/therm
2.- some goods (Cbars,gum, coffee,whter, rations, matches,flint,fuel tabsetc) 3.- rain poncho for shelter
4.- cup metal to boil water
5.- coleman single stove
6.- now a recocker
7. now a restringer
8. strings x2
9. spare gloves/hat/liner/light weight SB/socks
10. spare fletchs/glue/broadheads/WD40/wax/gun tape
11. compass and map (GPS fail at the wrong time, and if you cannot read a map you shouldn’t be out in the woods)
12. all my calls
13. my ID/cards/lic.
14. collapseable shovel
15. small buck saw
16. knife.
17. Flash light and spare batteries, glow sticks and strobe light.
18. Radio crank type( for the weather)
17. 550 cord/1/4" rope/caribiner
18. butcher bags
19. anything that I can use
20. Cell phone with a spare battery.
21 FA kit
22. If gun hunting kit equipment
Yes It maybe anal, but growing up going to the woods with my Father and GrandF. And with 30+ yrs in the military . You never know when you may get stuck. And have to spend the night. And anyone can be wet and cold.
Spent a few night at -10--20C with my GFather, in the lean too. When I get the chance Ill post a pic.
Last edited by cdnarmyguy on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
UPSMAN

Re: What do you carry out in the woods.

Post by UPSMAN »

an eagle scout ain't got nothing on you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Wow with my bad back I would quit hunting if I had to carry all that. I take as little as possible.
rayman

Post by rayman »

:shock: Wow. I usually carry a mosquito stick, small flashlight, and maybe extra shells. Then again, I only walk maybe 500 yards from the truck.
cdnarmyguy wrote:Spent a few night at -10--20C with my GF, in the lean too. When I get the chance Ill post a pic.
Boy, if that's not snuggle weather I don't know what is.
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

wheelie wrote:Wow with my bad back I would quit hunting if I had to carry all that. I take as little as possible.
Its only heavy if you may never use it. Ive humped a 30Kg ruck full of water/ammo and spare socks/ts and gotch not including my weapon tack vest,frag vest, helmet. But you should see what the rangers up north bring to the land. The army saying is travel light freeze at night.
As for an eagle scout, most have adult supervision hahahah. Or had to go out and find that lost hunter or fisherman. That thought they didnt need it. Just watch a show of Yukon men.
Yea snuggle weather, he was born in Essex but moved then grew up in the backwoods of Nfld. Before moving back to Essex after WW1. So we kids were never allowed to forget how to live in the woods. Even though there were not many back woods in the county around Windsor. We went out east ever yr to visit and to hunt and fish.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Sorry, thought GF meant girlfriend. :) Have not camped in negative weather with girlfriend, or wife, before as we do not have negative weather in Florida. Grandfathers not into camping as they had been there done that, not for recreation. Dad took me camping growing up, but that was in a Winnebago. :)
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

WOW! :shock:

Pretty Extensive List!! Using one of those military jeeps to haul it around, or have a packer? :lol:

Kidding aside, you never know when you're going to need it! Working National Air Search & Rescue (NASAR) as long as I have (from the Arctic to Points South) it never ceases to amaze how unprepared a LOT of Folks are when entering the back-country. Most we locate are thankfully still kickin'. The odd time they ain't, and more times than not in those circumstances, it could have been easily avoided with a little foresight to gear.

Even Day Trippin' my Buddies sometimes giggle at what I carry in the day-pack.
Funny thing though, I carry the extreme minimum as far as food. Had many Buddies wander back to base camp on me when hunting the hills just due to that. Seems I'm packing enough "reserve" to go for quite a few days on little but water.
Even more so this winter chawin' down all those sausages! :lol:
Best be getting to working that off both me & the mutt soon methinks!

Good Thread ArmyGuy!

Now about those pictures... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Ray
NP. Wife had a laugh. She tells me spell it out.

Iron
Not really too much. Most fit it in all the pouches. I have friends that are SAR Techs and have heard many a story. About camping,fishing or hunting trip that went real bad.
Even when I have the grandkids out camping in a park, they are made to pack their lil rucks (backpack) with stuff. Between my 5 daughters and 4 sons in law, that are in the army. The kids do well outdoors.
A lil story that made me feel good. One day my 7 year old granddaughter went for a day trip with the school. All the kids laughed and the teacher asked why because she had some spare socks, her rain jacket and some lil goodies. Which my daughter made her pack. Well it tryed to crap and rained. She had dry feet, and was dry for the bus ride home. The teacher gave her a gold star for being prepared, when they got back. So who was laughing then.

As for the pictures, Ill take a few when I get home.
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

1 : 10 arrows and a Katipo
2 : small container of potassium permanganate and some glycerol
3 : a small tarpaulin
4 : 15 mtrs 4 mm para cord
5 : enough food for the trip
6 : socks, never can have enough socks.
7 : compass
8 : my A1 falkven survival knife, laminated stainless on vg10 core AWESOME
9 : Water bottle
10 : a camp oven, I.E a pot with lid.
11 : if going deep for a week or more alone I rent a emergency gps locator beacon so they can find me if the crap hits the fan.
a couple of rubbish bags to keep spare clothes dry and to put meat in.
all fits in a pack, easy as......
if anyone is wondering what 2 is for it has many uses and I highly recommend looking into it, its an awesome bit of kit.
you can clean wounds with a little bit mixed in water, you can purify drinking water with a few small crystals, and you can start a fire anywhere, just put some of the powder on your tinder source and add a few drops of glycerol, with in 30 secs you will have fire, no need to worry about wet matches or lighters ....
Oh a good attitude, this is the most important survival tool we can have. if you do not feel good about it do not do it.
sometimes a phone for camera.
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

As i read your list i was like WOW he is going on a field exercise but you are right ....when you need it you need it.
I take a pack to and i put to much in it but its a habit i cant break
taz3

Post by taz3 »

When I go portaging, it depends on how long and where I'm going, and I think it will be the same when I start to hunt. If I going somewhere unfamiliar, I'll take the extras, incase. A water filter or tablets are lighter and knowing what's around you before you go is handy, I often study my map and area to be travelled before I head out too. I'll take a GPS and always take a compass, I also have learned to ziplock everything I can, you wont know when your going to be wet and cold, from rain or falling in water.

I'll be able to hunt near my home, and will find a well travelled road with 2 miles in any direction, so I'll keep it real light knowing I can get home easily.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
secret

Post by secret »

cdnarmyguy, How big is you pack!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Not that big, just packed well, pics when I get home. next week
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Wow thats a great kit. I would only add water proof matches and a magnesium/flint back up for fire starting....
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Fortunately I hunt within 10 miles of my home or in the back yard. Leave most extraneous stuff at home or in the truck/ATV. Carry only bare essentials. Cocker, knife, rubber gloves, large palstic bag (to pee in), calls, range finder, 8X binox, mag light (on evening hunts), extra light haul rope, wind detector powder, bow and 3 arrows. Can carry most in the pockets of my safety vest.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!