Cold Weather Hunters???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sportsman70003

Cold Weather Hunters???

Post by sportsman70003 »

What do you cold weather hunters wear for under garments in very cold temps, and how about wind stopper outer wear??
Suppressor 400 TD
Dragon Claw Arrows
Ravntek Broadheads
BryanOney

Re: Cold Weather Hunters???

Post by BryanOney »

In really cold weather do not have any cotton touch your body. For my feet I wear a polypropylene sock with a heavy wool sock over it inside a 2000 mg thinsulate rubber boot. Polypropylene long underwear tops and bottoms with wool over them. Jeans over long john bottoms fleece over long john tops. Insulated wind proof pants and jacket with hood. Neck gaiter, Carhart stocking hat with ear flaps. Carry in coat and outer pants to avoid sweating. Take a hand muff with hand warmers in it. This works for me down around zero degrees with a wind chill as low as -20.
ShooterJohn

Post by ShooterJohn »

I'm new to crossbow world, but hunted in the cold up tp -40 for over thirty years.
I go with under armour top and bottom or silvertec by Cabelas. Then Woolpower top and bottom which is primarily merino wool. On the very top a jacket and pants by Sitka ( wind proof ). For socks , nothing beats a Woolpower liner sock with an 800 gr Woolpower merino wool sock over that. My boots of choice are a pair of Danner Canadian hunting boots or Meindl Winter Pac boots if the snow is deep. I go with Woolpower again for a balaclava. Gloves are a pair of Cabelas gortex shooting gloves.

I hope that helps. That's what Ive gone with the last few years anyway.

I always carry some (hotshot toe warmers). You can put one in each boot last for four hours usually.

p.s. dont buy boots too snug - I always go with 1/2 size or a whole size larger to accomodate extra socks and breathability.

Good huntin'
- Dog's are mans best friend !

" Carpe Diem"

" Amare parentes tuos "

OFAH , Ducks Unlimited, NRA , WWJD.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

It's all about layers, and staying dry.

1st thing I put on is some form of polypropelene - wallyworld sells reasonably priced stuff in the men's undies/workout wear section.

I wear some form of polypro no matter what the weather - in warm weather it wicks to keep cool, and in cool weather it wicks and keeps warm. Great stuff. Comes in different weights.

Then I wear a thin fleece layer with a heavier one over it, sometimes another fleece vest over that, then my outer shell.

For bottom first polypro then I wear a pair of ueber-soft & thick fleece pajama bottoms (it's like the stuff those cuddly blankets are made of - warmer than regular fleece), then the outer camo layer.

Neck gaiter (double layer fleece) & ear-flap "Elmer Fudd" hat. I carry at least 2 pr of gloves - a light pair for the walk in, then a warmer pair for when I'm sitting.

Always in my pack: those shake 'em heater thingies - the kind that you can stick on (or wrap around) for my back, and some hots shots for my hands.

This past season I invested in the rechargable heated footbeds by ThermaCell - best cold weather purchase I've made in a long time! I can tuck them in any of my boots and they keep my feet comfy.

Always carry some form of firestarting devices and tinder, and signalling devices (my choice is Fox40 whistle & large glowstick)- you never know when you might find yourself stuck in the cold for longer than you expected, best to be prepared.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Wool wool wool. That is the best to keep warm. In my line of work, i have to spend weeks out doors. Screw that high tech stuff. The best clothing I have is wool shirt, cotton LJs to absorb swet, and wool cam outer. Boots some old Kamoks with wool liner. Gortex will freeze if it gets wet.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Wool wool wool. That is the best to keep warm. In my line of work, i have to spend weeks out doors. Screw that high tech stuff. The best clothing I have is wool shirt, cotton LJs to absorb swet, and wool cam outer. Boots some old Kamoks with wool liner. Gortex will freeze if it gets wet.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I am looking to buy a suit from Arctic Armour

http://www.idigear.com/aajacket.php

It is also a flotation suit . Have several friends that own them and have circulation trouble and ice fish all day with these suits .

For fall weather I am looking at buying a Milwaukee electric jacket

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2333