damaged painting on flight groove/barrel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DFF

damaged painting on flight groove/barrel

Post by DFF »

hello!

after 3 month of shooting with my first crossbow ever i found some unexplainable damages on the flight groove and the barrel.

i am using easton hunter arrows with 4" vanes, AMS bowfishing arrows.
and a standard cocking rope.

i don't think it changed my shooting results but i don't know if this is normal abrasion.
buck neked

Re: damaged painting on flight groove/barrel

Post by buck neked »

it looks like the rope cocker is to blame for the exterior, and an arrow nock on the rail. Check both. i imagine the cocker may have some indication on it if its causing that wear
buck, buck neked.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I am thinking normal on the rail for a 1000 plus grain arrow. More so are you running saftey slides or rings on the AMS arrow. Arrow maybe flexing massively and screw is scrapping side. Wrap some electrical tape around arrow and screw. I run 22/64ths arrows out of crossbow not 5/16ths. Just an idea as not enought information to know for sure. Definately from fish arrows and not hunting arrows. I would not shoot normal 5/16ths white arrows out of that high poundage bow. One day they will get weak and explode on takeoff. Yellow jackets have a thicker spine and be better if you are shooting whites.
My opinion only as I speak for nobody else.
DFF

Post by DFF »

i am using the yellow crossbow arrows from AMS. what is confusing for me is that the damage is only on one side and also on the sides of the barrel close to the latch (probably caused by the plastik hooks of the cocking rope).
i wrote an email to the excalibur support, let' see what they'll say.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I would not call that damage but only cosmetic wear. Anytime something rubs against a painted or coated finish cosmetic wear will result and that is normal. I would not worry about it, your crossbow is a hunting/shooting tool and after time it will not look like the day you removed it from the factory box.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bones

Post by Bones »

enormous wrote:I would not call that damage but only cosmetic wear. Anytime something rubs against a painted or coated finish cosmetic wear will result and that is normal. I would not worry about it, your crossbow is a hunting/shooting tool and after time it will not look like the day you removed it from the factory box.
X2 .... Just shoot and Enjoy!
DFF

Post by DFF »

thank you for your help.
i checked the crossbow and the damages don't seem to harm the accuracy.
i sand down the moonnocks of the AMS fishbolts and now i let the stopper screw run inside the rail. after a few testshots it seems to be a good solution.

i'll be back from holydays in a few weeks with some good hunting memories or very slim.

cheers!

DFF
Dash

Post by Dash »

I've seen that before in exactly the same place :roll: Its not normal wear, its a scratch.
It can happen when your decocking, but more likely using the stringer as the hooks are raised higher towards the rail surface. If you don't watch the angle of the cocking rope hooks carefully, the hooks can ride the rail on the wrong angle and do that. It looks like a twin to my equinox :lol:
It's no issue as the scratch isn't on the top of the rail.