Kinetic Energy - Xbow vs Compound , doesnt matter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sbox

Kinetic Energy - Xbow vs Compound , doesnt matter

Post by sbox »

I’m getting a Excalibur bow and have a Kinetic Energy question. Why do many of you suggest that you go with a 200 # or higher crossbow for elk, moose etc? I understand the science that more arrow speed and weight = more KE which is better penetration, especially on shots that may require more penetration (hard forward angle) to get to the vitals, and I understand that these are just suggestions but I just want to make sure I’m not missing something before I buy a xbow.

My old compound at 60# shooting a 400 grain arrow at 255-260 fps is generating about 58 lbs of KE. Which according to Eastons scale below is fine for shooting elk, moose, big bears. Which last year it blew through a spike elk completely taking out a rib on the exit side.

Looking at Excaliburs KE scale a xbow shooting 300fps with a 400 gr arrow at 30 yards generates 71 lbs of KE.

I understand that a 175 # Phoenix or Axiom is going to shoot a bit slower than 300fps when you bump the arrow weight up to 400grs but it should still be well within the KE scale, and probably in the 60s and fine for larger game according to Easton's info .
Eastons Website
KINETIC ENERGY HUNTING USAGE
25 ft. lbs. Small Game
25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (Deer, Antelope)
42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Boar)
65 ft. lbs. Big Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly)

Excaliburs Wensite
Range (Yards) Arrow Drop (Inches) Terminal Velocity (FPS) Kinetic Energy
Figures assume a 400 grain arrow at 350 FPS, 20-yard sight-in
Crossbows shooting 300 FPS
10 yds. 77
20 yds. 74
30 yds. 71
40 yds. 66
50 yds. 65
Crossbows shooting 250 FPS
10 yds. 53
20 yds. 51
30 yds. 49
40 yds. 47
50 yds. 45
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
kd8jgu

Re: Kinetic Energy - Xbow vs Compound , doesnt matter

Post by kd8jgu »

Here is how I look at it after hunting some large hogs.
I want pass thru. If my shot is slightly off I want it to still pass thru.
So hunting with my Ibex at 30 yrds I would get pass thru on a 300lb hog.
If my shot would have been 3" foward I would have had a chance of it lodging in the shoulder.
So I am stepping up to the Exomax so this is not a problem.
Alot of us are not professional hunters and sometimes will jump the gun a little.
For that reason I will save the animal the chance of suffering by stepping up the pundage.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Those that can step up to bigger poundage models. Those of us whom don't like to abuse our bodys go another route. I shoot Vixen's if'en i choose to hunt larger game than deer or wild hogs. I up my arrow weight, 400 to 625 grs nutten stops my logs but the ground behind the animal
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sbox

Post by sbox »

Good info . Thanks

How do you beef up a crossbow bolt from 400 gr to 600 gr? I've heard of arrow tubes that you insert inside the arrow, as well as brass inserts. Are there other ways?
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Depending on the type of arrows/shafts thar be several ways to go about it. One purchase the heaviest arrow or shaft available. Use heavier weight front inserts. Can slug arrow shart by usin smaller shaft or metal inserted up inside then the insert. Ask ?'s & lot of us have done that & can put info right here fer you
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315