Bolt weight?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

farmlife1

Bolt weight?

Post by farmlife1 »

I've been workin on settin up a few different weight bolts for hunting deer and turkeys. What weight do you use for turkey and/or deer? I should have a Phoenix here by the end of the week (thanks to a great forum member) to set up for my boys to shoot. They shoot very well out to 40 yards at targets but I won't let them shoot past 30 in the woods. Should I keep theirs heavy too? Thanks.
Raise up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it
Exocet 200
Phoenix
Vixenmaster strings
Strikers and Spitfire Gobbler Getters
2219 logs
vixenmaster

Re: Bolt weight?

Post by vixenmaster »

Fixed BH's can get by wid 350 to 400 gr arrows, mech seem to impead penetration usin under 375 gr arrows wid light weight models. Phoenix should have enuff power to use either style BH.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I'd shoot the same set up for both animals. You may want to use a turkey specific broadhead, and there are some good ones out there, but I'd choose the broadhead you want based on using them for deer, then use that for Turkey as well. JMO.
In the Wind.......
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

There is considerable diversity by those who like to shoot heavy arrows (logs) and those that prefer lighter arrows. With my Phoenix (and Vortex) I prefer less trajectory over more kinetic energy - esp for turkey,were shot placement must be quite precise. To that end I'm using a 400 gr arrow with 18% FOC, Blazers and Slick Tricks or Spitfire heads. Same setup for deer.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

automated11 wrote:If you practice with the heavier arrows I would definitely stick with them, my thinking is the only disadvantage is you need to know your distances a little better since the logs drop a little faster. Ever since I went with a 5-600 grain arrow I have always gotten pass throughs even hitting heavy bone with a vixen.
Ditto
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Lighter arrows would have a little more zip out of the Phoenix. If you're not to concerned about that and you shoot together alot it would be convenient if all your hunting and practice arrows are the same weight.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
farmlife1

Post by farmlife1 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I have some 360ish grain toothpicks and some 500ish grain logs as well. I use a fixed blade but I have my boys using big mechanicals. I may try using the lighter ones in the Phoenix to help with trajectory for the gobblers but move them up to the same "logs" I use for deer. That deffinately would make things easier on me!! 2 and sometimes 3 kids in a blind can get hectic real quick!! Thanks again!!
Raise up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it
Exocet 200
Phoenix
Vixenmaster strings
Strikers and Spitfire Gobbler Getters
2219 logs