S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sbox

S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System

Post by sbox »

I have a Exocet 200 ordered and have a question concerning adding a S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System since it doesn't come with it as a stock item

Do they make a big difference in the sound?

If it doesn't make that much difference I'd just as soon save the cash.
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
taz3

Re: S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System

Post by taz3 »

IMO opinion, they are best suited to protect the limbs from dry fire damage and vibration, while allowing you to take weight off the front of the crossbow. As for noise, I don't think there is anything that will quite a crossbow to the point of being beneficial, they're just loud be nature of design. They do change the sound and suppress vibration quickly though.

I modified a set, to make them adjustable, this has given me maximum speed with the reassurance of limb protection and now being able to lighten the front up.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

They don't make a lot of difference in noise "BUT" they do make a huge difference in string shock/vibration, PLUS it guards your bow against damage in case of DRY FIRE and that makes it worth the cost to me, And believe me you will probably dry fire sooner or later, :shock:
Good luck to ya,,,,,,,,,,, :wink:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

In addition to the above I like the S5s for the easy of checking the BH, (brace height), which I keep at about 1/16" from the S5 rubbers. This seems to help with the accuracy of the bow.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D dryfire???? who does that???? ok...... maybe afew times. just kidding. the s5's are worth the money, really help's take out the vibration out of the shot. just remember to turn the pads alittle every so often. you get longer life out of them.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
sbox

Post by sbox »

Thanks all, Sounds like I better buy the S5s for my bow. All this time I thought it would be the "Dissipator Bar" Kit that would protect it from dry fire damage.

Deerstalker,
Your saying keep the strip 1/16" off the pads, right?

Do any of you have the dry fire gizmo on your bows. I've never misfired a gun in all my 45 + years (knock on wood) but I understand to have with the Excalibur bows, you have to cock them with the safety off and then manually put it on since there is no auto-safey like some xbows have.

Thanks again everyone for thwe info, I have more questions yet to come about good hunting bolts, what weight, etc and cant wait to get the bow in hand and start shooting it. You'll probably all be sick of my questions before this is over :)
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II