Help with a Matrix 380 for a total newbie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHuntingUSA

Help with a Matrix 380 for a total newbie

Post by DuckHuntingUSA »

Hi all. New to this place. Just ordered a Matrix 380. Hunted deer and turkey > 30 years, archery deer and turkey almost 20 years. Never shot a crossbow.
Anyone got any tips or tricks to make a easy entry. Really curious about what to do out of the box. Read that a faster string is available but haven't been able to locate it? Also heard its rated with 18" arrows, but longer arrows may be better for downrange energy and wind?

Any help or advise getting in to this thing would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Normous

Re: Help with a Matrix 380 for a total newbie

Post by Normous »

Welcome, you can read some of the posted material on this forum regarding the M380 for some background information, if you are new you can read and re read to get yourself more comfortable.
The Matrix series does not respond speed wise to string upgrades like the older bows do. Your stock string will give you the fastest speed with a 350 grain arrow. Energy is determined by weight and not length, and the way I see it, wind will affect a faster arrow less than a slower one that spends more time in the air, also, a shorter arrow has less side profile to be affected by the wind than a longer one would.
A 350 grain arrow out of the M380 has 112 FT pounds KE and that is substancial.
Watch the DVD that came with your bow and then select a suitable back stop and start shooting safely.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Your biggest concern with a 380 will probably find the arrows from a past through. You can also learn about the accuracy be reading or robin hooding! :lol:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

WELCOME!!!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Hey welcome to the forum & congrats on the 380!
Hoagy
2Bowsman

Post by 2Bowsman »

Welcome to the forum Bob
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D :D welcome, your going to love your excal, have fun shooting,and keep us posted.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
excalibrett

Post by excalibrett »

And whatever you do, DO NOT shoot the same spot twice :D :D
Excal Matrix 380
Leupold VX1 2-7x32
Black Eagles
Boo Strings
custom Munchmount

Strykezone 380
Hawke xb30
Black Eagles

Darton Lightning
Hawke xb30
Gold Tip Laser IVs
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the 380 and welcome to the addiction!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DuckHuntingUSA

Post by DuckHuntingUSA »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the warm welcome and the advice. Out here on the plains of Kansas not many crossbow people around. No archery shops anywhere close. State just passed the law allowing them last week.

Couple more questions.:
Since I have no stores around, and plan on hunting a lot if I’m healthy, what should I have 2 of? What is it vital to have a spare of? I’m thinking string and cocking rope, is there anything else?

Thinking I will shoot the Diablos with boltcutters. Do the 18” Diablos with the luminock weight the same as the Diablos sold without them?

I hunt off of ladder stands, climbing stands, tent and stalking. When do you all cock these? When you get out of the truck, when you get to the stand, when you get up on the stand? And when you're in a stalk, do you have a arrow loaded or do you wait till your getting close to a shooting point to put one on the rail?
And if you’re on the stand and drill one and want another or miss one, can you recock while on the stand? Simple 18’ ladder stand doesn’t have a big platform, is it doable or unsafe?

Thanks again for the help, I’ve got no local resources here. Hoping this works out good. Last 10 years or so been doing deers with Black Powder only. Hoping this will replace the Black Power gun and become the only deer collection tool I need. Thanks.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I always cock my Excalibur when I get to my hunting site, ground blind or trre stand. If I'm using a tree stand that day I cock it on the ground and attach my rope to the thumbhole and pull it up minus arrow and lower it minus arrow.

While on stand I always keep an arrow on deck. Lastly, the only way I would cock it in a tree stand is if I am wearing my safety harness (always do). Always use a harness even on a ladder stand. Cocking the crossbow in a tree stand is doable but I suggest some practice first.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family