Archery Moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bunt

Re: Archery Moose

Post by Bunt »

We hunted in 21A two years ago and only saw one cow, and she went into the freezer. We saw very little of anything, this was a little disappointing, it would have been nice to see more wildlife.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

hankenhunter wrote:Bunt,
If you haven't already, remove the long vanes and put helical Blazer vanes on your arrows. It makes an incredible change in accuracy with all broad heads. I also agree that you should never hunt moose with expandables. I shot a Boltcutter through a wrecked car. Passthrough with no damage to the Boltcutter except for very dull blades. :lol: This is my go to broad head for bear, deer, and moose. Excal made a very good decision to pair the Boltcutters and Firebolts. JMO. :D
Hank
I'm not familiar with the helical blazer vanes can you expand on this.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

hankenhunter wrote:Helical blazer vanes are 2" long with a higher profile. The helical comes from the fletcher you use to apply the vanes. In my case, I use the "Bolt"EZ fletcher. It puts a twist to the vane much like the twist in a rifle barrel. This imparts more spin, a bit of drag, which stabilizes the arrow more in flight. Same hole accuracy as far out as my scope will let me.( fifty yards.)
Hank
OK, so you fletch your bolts yourself. I'm not that sophisticated yet.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

hankenhunter wrote:Quote:OK, so you fletch your bolts yourself. I'm not that sophisticated yet.
Actually it's quite easy as the fletcher does all the work for you. The only grunt work is peeling, scraping, and cleaning(called prepping) the arrow. I thought the same way as you not too long ago and was pleasantly surprised at how easy is it. Plus the help and support you get along the way on this forum is outstanding. Don't feel intimidated by your bow. On the plus side you can purchase arrows with helicals installed.
Happy fletchin,
Hank
If I wanted to fletch my own arrows, what would I need?
Trx480Ryan

Post by Trx480Ryan »

Bunt where are you located in SW ont... im in the area, and i have the setup to do the blazers, if your close, youd be more then welcome to check it out.

Ryan
2011 Excalibur Equinox With Quiver and Varizone
Remington 870 With Camera Mount
Ruger 10/22 With Scope and See through Mounts
2004 Trx450r with a little work.
1995 Ranger with a little work.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I'm about 45 minute drive to Archers Nook in London, I might have to get over there next weekend and look around.
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

hankenhunter wrote:Helical blazer vanes are 2" long with a higher profile. The helical comes from the fletcher you use to apply the vanes. In my case, I use the "Bolt"EZ fletcher. It puts a twist to the vane much like the twist in a rifle barrel. This imparts more spin, a bit of drag, which stabilizes the arrow more in flight. Same hole accuracy as far out as my scope will let me.( fifty yards.)
Hank
Hank Does the BoltEZ fletcher allow you to fletch other size bolts as well, my son has a compound with smaller diameter arrows
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Bunt,
I shot a buffalo this year with my Vortex, and a moose woud be on par but maybe not quite as tough, bone-wise. I also see that you have had problems getting pass thrus with mechanicals and want to shoot a fixed blade at the moose. You also said your Phoenix had trouble shooting fixed blades.

Let me assure you that the problem was not your crossbow, but the arrows. And let me also assure you that your Phoenix is WAY powerful enough to put a well tuned arrow THROGH a moose.

I have experimented a ton and researched a ton with arrows getting ready for the buffalo hunt and here is what I have found.

1) Don't chase speed. You want a heavy arrow - like 500 to 600 gr total wt.
2) 2" Blazers fletched with an Arizone EZ Fletch Bolt work great for stabilizing about anything
3) You want a high FOC - like 20 to 25%
4) You want a BH that will not sustain ANY damage while passing through the animal

Some components you might consider are:

Arrows:
Easton FMJ crossbow arrows w/ brass inserts. They come with aluminum inserts, that are dang near impossible to get out. A good solution is to buy 22" shafts and brass inserts and then simply cut them down to 20" and install the insert. A bow shop can easily do this.

Gold Tip Laser 4 arrows with brass inserts. You can order these exactly like you want them from GT

Broadheads:
Magnus Stinger 2 blade head (I like the 150, but it comes in 125 or 100)
G5 Montec CS 3 blade (only comes in 100gr)

If you are so inclined, Google "Dr Ed Ashby". He has been doing field research on arrow lethality for 20+ years in Africa.....and some of it with a 40# draw recurve. Lots of good insight there on how to maximize arrow penetration.

My buffalo setup was 20" Easton FMJs, brass insert, Montec CS, 2" Blazers. FOC = 21%, total wt = 525gr.

Hope this helps and good luck on the moose!!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

So many suggestions! It appears that 2" blazers are where I should start. Thanks for all your input.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

nchunterkw wrote: ... My buffalo setup was 20" Easton FMJs, brass insert, Montec CS, 2" Blazers. FOC = 21%, total wt = 525gr.
Hi Keith- I'm wondering how you're measuring your FOC. I've got some 20" FMJs, brass inserts, 3" Fusion vanes, and plastic flat nocks. With 100 grain VPAs the FOC comes out to 13.85%. I measure from the point of the BH to the back of the nock as my overall arrow length when doing my measurement. I'm considering going with a 125 grain VPA... that'll increase the FOC somewhat but surely not up to 21%. Just double checking... what's the weight of the Montec you're using? From what you wrote above it looks like 100 grains, just like my VPAs. I know we're using different vanes, but my 3" fusions aren't that heavy. :shock:

Thanks,
~Ekkie
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

Oh yeah... I used this site to calculate the FOC for my arrows:

http://www.stickemarchery.com/stickemca ... ators.aspx

The math is easy I know... but I'm a busy guy. Or um... just lazy at times. :lol:

~Ekkie
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Ekkie wrote:
nchunterkw wrote: ... My buffalo setup was 20" Easton FMJs, brass insert, Montec CS, 2" Blazers. FOC = 21%, total wt = 525gr.
Hi Keith- I'm wondering how you're measuring your FOC. I've got some 20" FMJs, brass inserts, 3" Fusion vanes, and plastic flat nocks. With 100 grain VPAs the FOC comes out to 13.85%. I measure from the point of the BH to the back of the nock as my overall arrow length when doing my measurement. I'm considering going with a 125 grain VPA... that'll increase the FOC somewhat but surely not up to 21%. Just double checking... what's the weight of the Montec you're using? From what you wrote above it looks like 100 grains, just like my VPAs. I know we're using different vanes, but my 3" fusions aren't that heavy. :shock:

Thanks,
~Ekkie
Ekkie,
I don't include the BH in my measurement, because that is the way Dr. Ed Ashby measures his FOC and I tend to agree with his findings about arrow lethality and penetration. That way I get percentages that match up to his stuff. For what it is worth, the AMO standard does not include BH length.

For me:
Total length is from the back of the nock to the end of the insert.
Mark center pt. at half of total length
I then find and mark the balance pt.
FOC =[ (distance from center to balance pt.)/total length] * 100

Sorry I did not post earlier. I haven't had a chance to be online much lately
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><