Crossbow Strings & Thumbs Don't Mix!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

purl

Crossbow Strings & Thumbs Don't Mix!

Post by purl »

As a newbie to crossbow hunting I was of course anxious to get as many shots at the target as possible before the spring turkey hunt. I was sighting in the scope on my newly acquired ExoMax. I must have taken 20 or so shots from 20 & 25 yds then had moved out to 50yds. The first 4 or 5 shots all seemed to be hitting high so before adjusting the scope I brought out a saw horse to act as a rest just to be sure it was the scope. As I rested the bow on the rest and crouched down to take aim I obviously had my holding hand in the wrong position. When I pulled the trigger the first thing I noticed in that instant was wow I hit way low and just as instantly I said what the %#$@ did I do to my thumb. 3hrs in the emergency waiting room, 6 stitches, a really sore thumb and broken brand new carbon arrow later, I still can't figure it out. Except to say to say to my self, stupid!! don't do that again.
I just wanted to post this for other newbies to always be aware where your digits are in relation to the string. It's pretty hard to do this while holding the crossbow in a normal shooting position but when resting the bow and crouching in an abnormal position it's very possible to misplace your holding hand. I read all the warnings about this but... Hard lesson learned.
Still can't wait to get back out and figure out that 50yd shot.
purl
The hunter formerly known as Brian
vixenmaster

Re: Crossbow Strings & Thumbs Don't Mix!

Post by vixenmaster »

Ouch n damm that hurt! :shock: I am sorry to inform you that yer not the 1st nor will you be the last. no matter how many times we tell new owners keep all fingers hands n toes below the rail, they still manage to do body damage to theirselves!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Also not wise to hang a cocking rope around the neck. Believe me when a hook goes over the strings and the other one comes whipping around it does alot of damage.
Thanks for the warning about thumbs below the rail.
purl

Post by purl »

Your right vixenmaster. The "school of hard knocks" seems to sum up most of most of my education. Let's hope I'm a good,quick learner.....
purl
purl

Post by purl »

Holy s*%t wheelie. Damn good advice. Around the neck was my choice to keep the cocking rope close at hand while target shooting. I guess besides keeping my thumbs out of the way I'll find another spot for my rope as well. Thanks for the tip.
purl
nharrison

Post by nharrison »

I hit my thumb less than a tear ago. Still tender. Hope it never happens again. I can't explain the pain.......
munch

Post by munch »

hurts don't it .i lost a nail a few years ago the only good part about the whole thing is chances are you will never do it again .about all you have to worry about now is sticking your foot in the stirrup and releasing the string as you remember there is still an arrow on the rail .i got lucky i had steel toe boots on when i pulled that boner.hope you heal quick
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Good to here that you still have your thumb! when you get back to shooting adjust your speed ring for 40 yds not the scope!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
sbox

Post by sbox »

Thanks for posting this for us newbys. IT will surley make us be more aware of the danger.

My wife called and said that UPS dropped my Exocet 200 off this morning. And here I sit with 5 more hours before I can go home and open the box.

I hope she not playing some d@# mean April Fools joke on me.
Excalibur Micro 380, Exocet 200, Phoenix, Vixen, Vixen II
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I hope I never do that I know it hurts real bad. When I shoot from my bench I shoot my crossbow the same way I shoot my rifle by taking my hand that I would put on the forarm and put it clamping down on the top of the stock that way it is out of the way altogether.

sbox I'm glad you're finally getting to see your Excal I know you have been learning as much as you can. Good Luck and have fun shooting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:( :D that's gotta hurt!!! nock on wood, i have not done that. and never want to. hope you feel better soon.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

I took a slither off the knuckle of my thumb via my matrix, twas a nice little reminder :lol:
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

Unfortunately, 'that' is something everyone probably has to suffer through (to some degree or another) to really remember.
Fortunately my 'thumb tweek' lesson was with the Medieval arbalist in the avatar. No cuts but only red and hurt like the dickens! Have not forgotten since :cry:

What someone said on here before, "Beware of the Triangle of Death" has merit :shock:
Tink
wabi

Post by wabi »

Years ago I got a finger in front of the string.
6 stitches & 2 broken bones.
Never did it again! :lol:
wabi
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I know it's too late now, but the best place to put your front hand when shooting with a rest is under you cheek or just in front of it. This will occupy your free hand and keep it safe.

Glad to hear your ok, take care and here's to a speedy recovery.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting