Turkey Help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dewy

Turkey Help

Post by dewy »

Guys, I know nothing about Turkey hunting, however I would like to learn. Could you all recommend so basic calls and decoys for the beginner. Thanks for the help.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
volfan

Re: Turkey Help

Post by volfan »

Do a google search for "Turkey Hunting" and you will get so much info and videos that you will think you went to Turkey U. :)
Matrix 355
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

One of the easiest calls is a Box call i use a Lohman but they all are about the same. Slate striker maybe the next easy one unless you get a good pushin call. When i was younger i used Ben Rogers Lee diaphram calls single & double reed killed many a snurkey down in Ms.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

-pattern your shotgun with premium ammo
-where camoflashe (do not where red white or blue)
-do not wash your hunting clothing in regular laundry detergent(it contains UV brighteners and this will make your cloths glow to both Turkey and Deer
-arrive at your hunting spot before day light, at a tree line next to open field
-pace off 20 yards and set a hen decoy out and do that for 30 yards, now you know your range exactly(this is important because you don't want a bunch of pellets in the breast and you don't want to shoot over top of it's head--- you want the pellets in its head and neck)
-sit down at the field edge against a big tree that's wider than you, that tree provides protection from a possible hunter shooting at your decoy from behind you
-sit as still as you can and if Turkeys are moving toward you get ready before they get close
-call very sparingly and remember that some of those calls you are hearing could very well be another hunter
-enjoy yourself, its a beautiful time of year
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Some great tips there Bunt. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Bunt covered it. I think most guys call to much. The first call you make the turkey knows where you're at. Give him some time and keep your eyes open. They'll sneak up on you. Once you get that first one to come in you'll be hooked.
wabi

Post by wabi »

-call very sparingly and remember that some of those calls you are hearing could very well be another hunter
I like to call a couple times while the gobbler is still at the roost, then lay the call down and avoid the temptation to call again. The gobbler has heard the "hen" announcing her presence (what it thinks is a hen) and knows exactly where to look. It may be a long waiting game but it will usually come to look sooner or later.
BTW - A plain old box call is hard to beat.
wabi
rayman

Post by rayman »

Lots of good tips so far.

It's kind of like fishing, everyone has their own little twist for every detail. Most of the fun is in the process of developing your own methods and getting good.

The best way to learn is to go with someone who is already good and learn from them. If that is not avalilable, get ready for a lot of trial and error, and learning from mistakes. Turkeys will hand you your arse and laugh while they stroll away out of shotgun range.

Most calls are gimmicks. Don't get the walmart special, find someone in a shop who is a serious turkey hunter and pick their brain. You want a call that will make the sound you want every time, consistently. Like bow hunting, if it takes a couple of shots to start hitting right, it aint right. My favorite is a good slate. And I use the same one all the time. Might have to try several different strikers to get the sound right. I take that green brillo stuff with me to rough it up frequently.

I want to make soft purrs and soft yelps. I rarely make loud calls, maybe when trying to locate or turn a turkey that is going away. And then I try to sound like a boss hen that is trying to regroup the flock. Maybe you've heard it.

On that subject, most of the time when you here a turkey they have become hip to you and are giving distress calls. Try to sound like a hen that is not distressed. Most people call too much and too loud. Try to sound like a hen acting normally and the gobbler will usually come check out the new female on the block. If one answers you a couple of times and sounds like it's getting closer, put the stupid call down and have your shotgun aimed and ready, with your thumb on the safety of course.

Find a nice place for a set up where there is a lot of turkey sign and you can have some cover. Part of the essence of turkey hunting is to locate and roost a gobbler in the evening, and set up on him the next morning. Get there before daylight and set up your decoys about 10 yards or so inside of easy shotgun range. I don't like to use locator calls if I don't have to because Shotnbeer is correct. Also, sit back in cover because if you can easily see them coming, they will likely see you before they are close enough to shoot.

Stay safe and happy hunting. Turkey hunting is about the hunt, outwitting an old gobbler, calling without being busted, belling crawling 150 yards down a fence row to get a shot, calling or not calling, setting up close to the roost without spooking them, get the picture? :)
dewy

Post by dewy »

Thanks for the assistance guys. I'll put your tips together and see what I can do!
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers