Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: Help me decide

Post by flightattendant100 »

Could just get one of each.They are all great bows
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I have a Phoenix and I think the next one will be a Matrix, it seems the Matrix is easier on servings then the heavier Xbows it has replaced, plus it smaller and lighter to carry. The only downside to the matrix is they tough to cock without a cocking rope. Otherwise I think these 2 models would compliment each other well.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I was looking at the Matrix recently Myself, a little on the pricey side but probably well worth it. Not sure if I should look for a deal on a 200 pounder or hold off and save for a Matrix.
frisky

Post by frisky »

taz3 wrote:I have a Phoenix and I think the next one will be a Matrix, it seems the Matrix is easier on servings then the heavier Xbows it has replaced, plus it smaller and lighter to carry. The only downside to the matrix is they tough to cock without a cocking rope. Otherwise I think these 2 models would compliment each other well.
I like your thinking on this one! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd probably keep my Phoenix and buy my son an Axiom SMF.
(actually thinking of doing just that before next deer season)

The faster bows DO have an advantage with more speed & flatter arrow trajectory, but it's really not a huge gain in actual ethical maximum yardage.
If the Exomax gets 350fps and the Phoenix 305fps that's only a 15% gain. (If maximum yardage is 40 yards with the Phoenix that would mean 46 with the Exomax. Not suggesting this yardage figure is what you should use, just using it as an example)
wabi
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

Yes looking at it in a mathematical way I see your point, but a deer can react to the noise from the crossbow within a fraction of a second. The shot could go over its back or possibly hit farther back away from it's vitals at a distance of lets say 30 or 35 yards. My thoughts are with a faster bow the arrow would arrive at it's destination before the deer had time to move. I would like to be able to shoot a deer at 40 or 50 yards but I'm not comfortable doing that with my Phoenix.
Last edited by Bunt on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Jus how fast is a mature big whitetail Buck when usin an old slow Excal ? They ain't fast enuff about a 30 yd shot wid a carved tip limbed Vixen Miss Vixen that is! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315