Sighting in Troubles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

purl

Sighting in Troubles

Post by purl »

I'm using an Exomax with Flemish Dyna String using Firebolt arrows and 125gr field points. I have a VariZone scope. At 20/25 yds main cross-hair seems dead on.When I move out to 40yds using a rest the 40yd marking in scope was hitting 6 or 8 inches high consistently. Same at 50yds using the 50yd mark. At 40yds the 30yd mark is pretty well dead on. I have the speed dial maxed out at 350 fps. I would say maybe it's me but I've been using a rest and the arrows are very consistent.Wondering if I used 150gr field points (since I will be using 150 gr Bolt Cutter Broadheads) would this make a difference. Any suggestions welcome.
Last edited by purl on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purl
The hunter formerly known as Brian
maine hunter

Re: Sighting in Troubles

Post by maine hunter »

are high or low at 40-50?
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
purl

Post by purl »

Hitting high. About the same 6 to 8 inches @40 and 50yds. Sorry about that I've edited my post to say high.
purl
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D for the heck of it, i would try 150 fp's and see how those hit. i would not think 25 would make that much of a difference. i could see maybe a inch or so,but not 6''-8''. if it still shoots high,i would say it's the scope. keep us posted.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sight yer crosshair at exactly 20 yds! Then turn yer speed ring to the 350 & use 40 yd chevon at 40 yds to see if'en its still high !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
purl

Post by purl »

vixenmaster wrote:Sight yer crosshair at exactly 20 yds! Then turn yer speed ring to the 350 & use 40 yd chevon at 40 yds to see if'en its still high !
I think your right vixen.I need to be exact at 20yds then see what happens at 40. I wasn't using a rest at 20yds so if I was an few inches high or low at 20 yds I figured i was good but maybe this just got exaggerated the further out I got. I give it another go and see what happens.
purl
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Vixenmaster has you started in the right direction.

When I had the shadow-zone scope on my Equinox I set it just ahead of 325 FPS and I was dead on at all ranges.

I use the firebolts and 150 grain tips.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
purl

Post by purl »

vixenmaster wrote:Sight yer crosshair at exactly 20 yds! Then turn yer speed ring to the 350 & use 40 yd chevon at 40 yds to see if'en its still high !
You were right on vixenmaster. I took multiple shots @ 20yds and the majority were hitting a couple inches high. Once I adjusted the scope down, most were hitting dead on @ 20yds. I moved out to 40yds, had to max out the velocity ring to 350fps and was right on. Moved to 50yds, right on. Back to 30yds, right on. I think we're good to go. Like you said. It's real important to be dead on at 20yds. If not the results will be greatly exagerated the further you move out.
Thanks to all for the advice......
purl
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats greats news to hear. Now you have to fine tune it wid yer choice of BH's & don't wait til a week before season opens. I see this happen many times at last day ppl. sayin their BH's don't hit where their field pts did & get frustrated. Now is the time to play wid BH's, get them right. Then you can go back to field pts fer practice
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315