Arrow Length

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

Arrow Length

Post by rej »

I have read a lot on here about arrow length and want to try something. After some measuring I see that a 1-1/8" fixed BH can easily sit back in the riser channel on a Vortex. I have stayed with the Firebolt as it has given me excellent accuracy and is easily available. I do fletch them with 2" blazers and the Bolt tool. Tried a number of BH's and have found that for best accuracy at any range the SlickTrick 175 mag. works best for me. POI same as field point.

I want to cut enough of the tip off to clear the insert, probably about an inch, for more safety and increased spine. Will the inserts be re-usable? Will this affect down range accuracy? Thought I would ask before I start cutting up arrows.

Having said that the SlickTrick 175 gives best overall accuracy, I have a few NAP 125 gr. Hellrazors. With the Blazer fletched Firebolt they hit dead center and about 1-1/4" lower than the SlickTrick 175 with same scope settings. They group about 3/4" larger. How does this happen with an arrow that is 50 gr. lighter?
Cossack

Re: Arrow Length

Post by Cossack »

1. Inserts can be reused, no affect on accuracy.Have done it numerous times.
2. Lighter arrow shoots lower. Could it be that the heavier, slower arrow stays in in the tiller channel longer and gets pushed up higher by recoil? Works that way for bullets I know.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

I believe the 1 1/4 diff is because your 125gr bh bolt is 50gr lighter & begins to slow down sooner than the heavier bolt. At whatever distance you are shooting the trajectory paths are just crossing.
If your shooting at 20yds now move up to 15yds & i think you'll see the lighter bolt will be higher than the heavier bolt. Now shoot at 25yds & this should show the heavier bolt even higher than the lighter bolt compared to your results at 20yds. The heavier bolt has more momentum for a longer period of time.
Just a guess, Hoagy
rej

Post by rej »

Thanks for the replies. It does make sense. I use a .338 WM for distance shooting and forgot what I had learned there. Heavier bullets do hit higher. More recently got a 6.5 x .284 and this one is far more sensitive to bullet weight but the same things happen. The range for xbow was 50 yd. but I do not shoot at game past 40 yd. With POI difference what it is I think I will leave things alone as I can use either BH and get it done with only a small sighting change, if any. I definitely prefer the SlickTrick 175 as I got an unexpected benefit. The xbow is not as loud or "buzzy". Thanks again. :oops: