shredded serving- overdrawing?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AlinCT

shredded serving- overdrawing?

Post by AlinCT »

Took the Ibex out again this past weekend and on one of the shots, I noticed that the serving on the right side of the rail was shredded- tough not to notice actually. I had a spare string in the bag, so I removed it, and put on another.

Examining the string, I see the marks where the string is held back by the claws- where it shredded was further to right. Did a search and saw that overdrawing the bow can put the serving in contact with the sharper edge of the claw housing and damage the serving. Guess that's what I did and need to watch myself when cocking the bow.

Re: shredded serving- overdrawing?

Post by newbie »

That or pulling it too hard into the rail. I had that tendency with my vortex being on the shorter side the top end of the draw was tough and seemed to pull it into the rail too hard.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
AlinCT

Post by AlinCT »

Newbie- thanks- another thing I will have to watch out for.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Danny Miller would take a pocket knife to that edge and "de-burr" it.Sounds primitive but works
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Thanks guys, thats really good info!
Hoagy
AlinCT

Post by AlinCT »

@flightattendant100- I might look into gently filing the edge off as well, just in case I get a bit too "enthusiastic" with spanning the bow.
rej

Post by rej »

Had the same thing with my Vortex. I did the Boo, on the xbow, claw polish and things are much better. I don't know if that was the complete cure cause at the same time I started reserving FFF string with 0.046mm Halo. As I get better at serving the life increases. First one gave me 200+ shots. That is now almost double. Current preference on here is for Angel Majesty. The members using it say you can shred a string with the heavy stuff(.036?) so if you decide to give it a try be careful.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I have a dremel wheel pre-formed just for that.
"Eze 18:21"
AlinCT

Post by AlinCT »

I took a small round needle file and lightly took off the edge this morning. Going to see how that works along with being less aggressive on spanning the bow. The right side of the receiver did have more of an edge than the left. Hopefully the combo will stop the issue from happening again.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Contrary to popular believe n findings i have had poor results wid angel. Mostly on matrix strings on 1st servin but also on the regular Excal models. Yesterday i was shootin a 452X string i made awhile back that was abit short. So i put it on Dark Lady & shot about 60 times & the servin was trying to separate on the right side claw. I can put on bcy crossbow servin & it holds up fer 200-300 shots. I haven't had a chance to sit down wid all 4 servins & see myself which will take the most abuse. Of course there will be those who say but you only have a 165 lb as the biggest Excal. Not so i don't let out everything i have, but i have a nice Blk stocked 200 lb E'cet that i do most of my string n servin testin wid
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Comparing samples of one for serving wear is, bluntly, unscientific. The issue could well be difference in the relative tightness of the serving and not the serving material itself. Have found to Angel to be the toughest, separation resistant material I've used on my strings for three bows including a 365 fps compound with a steeper angle of latch engagement ( a serving killer) than the Matrix.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Cossack wrote:Comparing samples of one for serving wear is, bluntly, unscientific. The issue could well be difference in the relative tightness of the serving and not the serving material itself. Have found to Angel to be the toughest, separation resistant material I've used on my strings for three bows including a 365 fps compound with a steeper angle of latch engagement ( a serving killer) than the Matrix.
Well please tell me how to serve new strings wid angel please! I have tried both hand & servin tool on strings tighten until angel is breakin in two trying to get it tight enuff not to separate ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have also broken the BCY crossbow servin but not Halo yet. I haven't tried the Brownell servin yet
Half Bubble Off BD360