Alberta Hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

Alberta Hunters

Post by rej »

How many Alberta xbow hunters on here? I am in central Northern Alberta.
VixChix

Re: Alberta Hunters

Post by VixChix »

My brother lives in St. Albert - he's on here from time to time & goes by "Stinky Buffalo". I believe he's also active on the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

I am up in the north west corner these days. Left the crossbow back at home though - cant use it during archery season! Lots of people very much against them. Tons of animals up here though!
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
rej

Post by rej »

Mr. Dynamite wrote:I am up in the north west corner these days. Left the crossbow back at home though - cant use it during archery season! Lots of people very much against them. Tons of animals up here though!

Xbow hunting situation in Alberta is improving. You can hunt with one during regular season with a regular license. There is a medical exemption that must be done by a Doctor that will allow xbow use during archery and primitive weapon season. No matter where you are some like to put down xbows. I am a member of the local gun club and the vertical bow members are well experienced. They know your skills as a woodsman are what get you the shot and we mix quite well. Like your location there is plenty of game around here. So much so that HID headlights are very popular for the extra visibility. An after midnight drive from Swan Hills to Fort Assiniboine is best done at 60 Km/hr, or get behind a big rig and let him clear the way. The deer are almost as numerous as the moths sliming up the windshield. One thing we do not have here is a Turkey population. I really enjoy reading the stories and seeing the pics. Keep them coming.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I don't live in Alberta but I hunt there every couple of years. I hunt in Gunn,Alberta.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Oh yea, hear ya there about animals all over! I'm in a big rig most of the time...haven't hit one yet, but they do keep you on your toes! Never worked up by Fort A yet, usually head south off 43 into the bush.
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
Yote380

Post by Yote380 »

just starting into the sport now.......live just outside edmonton and work in northern b.c.-big and small game everywhere!!!!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Lived there for a spell a fair number of years ago. Still guide (elk, whitetails & mulies) most years. Damn Good hunting IMHO! Working on the crossbow permit with the Sawbones now. Hopefully soon... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
rej

Post by rej »

IronNoggin wrote:Lived there for a spell a fair number of years ago. Still guide (elk, whitetails & mulies) most years. Damn Good hunting IMHO! Working on the crossbow permit with the Sawbones now. Hopefully soon... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

Keep working on it. I am starting the process. This Thurs. evening I travelled down to Edmonton to visit family on Highway 44. From Enilda to Flatbush I counted 71 white tail and 3 moose from the highway. I did a side trip and walk to a natural clearing few know of. This spot has always been good for deer and elk but I was not ready for what I saw. That about 60 acres looked like a commercial feed lot but they were all white tail. Had counted over 50 of them before a wind shift busted me. I believe there were at least 30 more. Access in this country is often tough but the rewards are worth it. On the way back Going through the Swan Hills to watch for bear. They are coming out and there are lots of them along the "Grizzly Trail". There is no hunting of Grizzly allowed and you would be lucky to see one along the road but Black Bear are numerous and sows with cubs often seen for good picture taking opportunities. Most of the creeks feeding the Swan River have Grayling when in season but be ready to do some walking in rugged country.
Mistagin

Post by Mistagin »

I'm in Fort McMurray, that's up in the northeast. Lots of opportunity to use the crossbow (just not enough time!).
It's true they can't be used in 'archery' seasons, but up where I am that's only a week or so in August anyway, when it's too hot and the bugs are too nasty in the bush. Then there is 3 months of firearms season, September - November when crossbows can be used.

It's also true that there is a real hate for crossbows by a number of people in the archery crowd. I was called a poacher and a few other unkind names when I was shooting at a local range :roll: . Then I got out my recurve and proceeded to shoot some pretty tight groups (instinctive shooting - bare bow, no sights); and then invited the critics (who were using compounds with all the technological stuff available) to try and better me using my recurve - since they were such great 'archers' and all. They declined and left :lol:
rej

Post by rej »

Mistagin wrote:I'm in Fort McMurray, that's up in the northeast. Lots of opportunity to use the crossbow (just not enough time!).
It's true they can't be used in 'archery' seasons, but up where I am that's only a week or so in August anyway, when it's too hot and the bugs are too nasty in the bush. Then there is 3 months of firearms season, September - November when crossbows can be used.

It's also true that there is a real hate for crossbows by a number of people in the archery crowd. I was called a poacher and a few other unkind names when I was shooting at a local range :roll: . Then I got out my recurve and proceeded to shoot some pretty tight groups (instinctive shooting - bare bow, no sights); and then invited the critics (who were using compounds with all the technological stuff available) to try and better me using my recurve - since they were such great 'archers' and all. They declined and left :lol:

If you hunt with any kind of bow it seems there are those who will give a critique. There is a crowd around here that think anything less than a .300 WM is a sissy toy. They are not gun club members and do not belong to any outdoor associations. They say nothing about poaching because they know we know who does that. I have spotted them trying to follow me to good hunting spots when the fact is there is game everywhere here. I would guess they carry pictures for species ID. I am not usually this crass but these are the kind that ruin it for honest hunters and imo they are dangerous as they will shoot without getting a good look at their target. Last season a hunter had his foot shot off. It is still not known who did that. You did it right by letting the bow do the talking. Ignore these people and continue to enjoy the outdoors the way you like to.