Spine question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

Re: Spine question

Post by rej »

Boo wrote:
Mister B wrote:For a hunter like me who refuses to take a shot over twenty yards,( my choice is 15 or less and I have taken more deer than my age, only one of which was over 20 yards) I think you are trying to polish a diamond with wax paper. Spine doesn't really matter if your bow can put the arrow within a silver dollar spot at these hunting distances. Granted, occasionally you get an arrow that refuses to cooperate, but I've had duds in bullets too. Practice. If it hits, use it, if it don't chunk it. Just my honest opinion. I went to a lot of trouble making a spine machine with all the gages and weights, but push come to shove, my time is better spent practicing. Sorry if I am peeing in anybody's snow.
No question. The other side of the coin is that some like to whack targets like it owes them money so locating a spine is for them.
Normally I just assemble my arras and shoot them. Any "fliers" found still get used because those "fliers" still kill at hunting distances. I aim for the lungs and that's a big target!
I agree with both comments. I like tinkering but I like shooting a lot more. With a vortex I am in middle ground for speed. I have stayed with the firebolt cause it works fine for me. I have shortened them, use 2" vanes with helical and the slicktrick 175 gr. magnum. Every one of those 22 arrows holds to < > 1-1/4" at 50 yd. I am happy with that.