Prospective new crossbow hunter.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jhnmcgough

Prospective new crossbow hunter.

Post by jhnmcgough »

Suffered a TBI injury in 09 in a motor vehicle accident. Have recovered everything but my ability to walk unassisted. Need the assistance of a walker. Looking to get back into archery hunting, this time with a crossbow. However, it isnt legal in new york state yet, so I will be purchasing Penn & Ohio non resident licenses. Have done extensive research and narrowed my initial purchase of a crossbow to either a compound ( barnett 410,400,385,350) or a recurve( Excalibur 380). Leaning towards a recurve,my limitations will be enough of a problem dont need a problem with a more complicated weapon. Would appreciate getting some feedback from matrix 380 owners on arrow selection and broadhead selections. I'm a novice and dont make my own arrows so in your feedback include what you would instruct someone who is making your arrows to do. My research to date has shown the Diablo 18 inch to be made for the matrix bows. But what size broadheads 100-125-150 grains. Muzzy,rage,bolt b.a.t ? Type of nocks,inserts etc?
Thanks in advance for your help getting my butt back in the woods, even if its a ground blind instead of a tree stand.
John McGough
[email protected]
Deerstalker

Re: Prospective new crossbow hunter.

Post by Deerstalker »

My suggestion would be a bare bones Matrix 355 and then mount a Nikon Bolt Xr CB scope. For broad heads I don't think you could go wrong with 125/150 gr Slick Trick MAGs or Excal Boltcutters. These BHs have taken a lot of deer. Just practice with your field points in the same weight as the BHs and then shoot a couple of BHs to check the accuracy. I believe that you will be really impressed with the Excal accuracy. You may want to practice some shooting from the blind at 20/40 yards. The 355 will take any game animal that you may want to harvest. I am sure that the folks on this forum will provide a lot of great advice. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I picked my crossbow sort of like I pick my fishing poles it has to feel right in your hands just so happened it was the 380 that tickled my palms You cant go wrong with any of the Excals Just go with your gut feelings I would stay away from the wheeled crossbows for ease of use and not to mention Accuracy no syncronization with these limbs load and let her go What ever you choose good luck and hunt on
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum!Get to a store and try the excal line up to see what you like!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

For me it will always be an Excalibur as far as arrows go . Because you are in the lower 48 give Jerry a call at South shore archery good price low shipping cost and puts a lot of time and research in his arrows. Service is one of the best in the country.
ranger

Post by ranger »

Welcome to the Forums, go and try as many as you can and get the one that fits like a glove.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There's a pic floating around of 3 shots at 40 yds posted by Boo [aka Don] from a Matrix, I'd start w/ those arrows and b-heads.

Welcome to the forum!
"Eze 18:21"
fender

Post by fender »

I hunted in with a crossbow in NY before they discontinued the two year “trial period” this year. I have heard they will eventually allow crossbow hunting again, at some point, to generate more hunting interest as license sales are down. When they did allow the CB they had a 200lb draw limit, which is ridiculous, but you may want to consider this, if they reinstate crossbow use and keep this restriction.
2012 Vortex /Shadow-Zone
GT laser II / Spitfire 100g
Wyvern string
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
frisky

Post by frisky »

WELCOME!!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting