Crossbow speed question (UPDATE)!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

Crossbow speed question (UPDATE)!

Post by confederate »

I have a 175 lb Exocet I bought in 2004. Just replaced the limbs on it because I dry fired it and cracked one. It seems to have lost some speed. It is listed to shoot 310 fps with a 350 grain arrow. I'm shooting a 410 Grain arrow so I figure it shoots about 295. I have a 8 or 9 inch drop at 30 yards and it use to be about 5 1/2 or so. Can anyone else with a bow shooting about the same speed tell me how much there bow is dropping? The new limbs seem fine and feel about the same to cock as always. Just seems like a lot of drop at 30 yards to me. Excalibur website list 5.5 inches at 30 yards for a crossbow shooting 300 fps
Last edited by confederate on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
vixenmaster

Re: Crossbow speed question

Post by vixenmaster »

Are you sure the fps was 310 wid a 175lb E'cet straight Riser? I was thinkin more about 290. The E'cet 200 only can reach 330. I knowed the older 165 was 270
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Well if you havent done so already then on the left of the screen there is the word "Support" with a drop down menu and you can click on Arrow Performance and it appears that your information is pretty close.
So I wonder if you have access to a chronograph at an archery shop ?
If it really is slow for you then I guess another option would be to mail just the limbs to Excal.
I hope someone can answer you with theyre comparison.
Good luck
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
confederate

Post by confederate »

Yes Im sure about the advertised speed. My exocet at 175lbs was 310 fps with a 350 grain arrow. The phoenix is advertised at 305 but the power stroke is shorter so that why its a little slower.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
Bugflipper

Post by Bugflipper »

I think there is a little varience in limbs. I can't remeber exactly where but assuming I read it on here that they put a mark on them at the factory to mark like limbs for pairing. Odds are they have specifications on go, no go and there will be some a little heavier and some a little lighter but still be within spec.

My vixen shoots exactly what they advertise it to on the arrow selection page, 260 with a 450 gr arrow, 267 with 416 gr. My Ibex is rated for 305 with a 350 gr. It shoots 293 with a 450gr. and 298 with a 416 gr. It shoot 311 with a firebolt and 100 gr. but i don't know the total weight of that arrow for that one. Just assuming the limbs may be a bit stiffer since the barrel length should remain constant on all Ibexes. Mine measured 5 3/4" low at 30 with a 450 gr. BTW it also has bojax on the limbs and bojax string leaches so both should drop speed a little. Assuming I'd be 6 fps or so faster without them but didn't shoot a chrono before I put them on.

The old phoenix I had wouldn't shoot to spec, I can't remember what it would chrono but it wasn't a whole lot more than my vixen. I just figured I had left it strung for too many years but maybe it just had weaker limbs, who knows? The vixen has been strung for 18 years and still shoots as advertised. But I didn't have access to a chrono back then so I don't know how it shot speed wise when new.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

It seems to have lost some speed.
Not a limb problem. There's 9 classifications for the limbs. There's not 2 lbs diff in them. 2 lbs [assuming your replacements are at the far end of the scale] would not account for your perceived diff in poi's at 30 yds.

Excal replaces limbs in pairs to ensure there's no tiller prob's, they test them to the Nth degree [9 categories] which says a lot about them, imho.
"Eze 18:21"
PA_DeerHunter

Post by PA_DeerHunter »

Would Excalibur send a specific limb-set? In other words, if I requested their stiffest set of limbs on their 9-scale categories, would they do it?
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Imho, no........Much ado bout 'nothing.............
"Eze 18:21"
Normous

Post by Normous »

PA_DeerHunter wrote:Would Excalibur send a specific limb-set? In other words, if I requested their stiffest set of limbs on their 9-scale categories, would they do it?
Of course they would, you may gain 1.357 fps if you went from 1 to 9 (stiffest).
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
confederate

Post by confederate »

When I got my new limbs I also installed an S5 on my bow. Today I took it off just to see if it would make a difference and it didnt. I shot two arrows off the bench at 30 yards useing my 20 yard crosshairs. I measured the drop and it was 8 1/4 inches. I am shooting the same arrows as always. Gold tip 2 with heavy inserts I got from Dan Miller. I emailed Excalibur about it so we will have to see what they say. I dont know how it could be anything except the new limbs making the difference. The groups are nice and tight but an 8 inch drop indicates the bow is only shooting 250 fps and that is not exceptable to me.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I removed a set of carved tip limbs and replaced with mag tip and my bow shot noticeably slower. Didn't have a crono back then but could sure tell just by naked eye. Have since fixed the problem.
confederate

Re: Crossbow speed question (UPDATE)!

Post by confederate »

Well I solved the speed problem that had me shaking my head. Was thinking about it last night trying to figure out what in the world the problem could be when I realized that I hadn't shot my crossbow at 20 yards since I put he new limbs on. Went out early this morning and shot it off the bench at 20 yards, and I'll be damned if it wasn't shooting 2 inches low. Problem solved. I sighted it in at 20 yards then moved to 30 using my 20 yard crosshairs and it was 5 1/2 inches low , not 8 inches like before. I moved the speed ring a little to sight my 30 yard pin ad I'm good to go again! Don't know why it had changed since putting on the new limbs but I'm just glad to have found the problem.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Go back to shootin widout worrys
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'm glad you worked it out.