flat nocks?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trashedback

flat nocks?

Post by trashedback »

I just bought an Ecocet and have been reading here that everyone talks about useing flat nocks....is there a reason why? It seems a half moon would hold the arrow lots better in place. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait for deer season so I cn get back up in my 30 foot tree with my Anderson sling on and double lung a few bambies for the freezer.....:)
Have a great day folks!!!!! :roll:
Deerstalker

Re: flat nocks?

Post by Deerstalker »

I am fairly new to CBs & Excal, 2nd year and had the same question as you do. The flat nocks are recommended and after several hundred shots I have found absolutely no problems with them. One advantage is that you do NOT have to worry about which vane you place in the rail slot as they all line up with the string. The Excals are very accurate CBs & you will have a great time hunting with them. You mentioned 30' up a tree so be sure that you always wear your safety gear. I had to learn this lesson the hard way as I thought that it would never happen to me. Big mistake!

I believe that if you keep your BH, brace height, set at 1 & 1/16" to 1 & 1/4" your POI will be more consistent. Adjust the string by putting CCW twists into either end of the string to increase the BH. Hope this helps and welcome.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
ranger

Post by ranger »

KIS..Flat all the way, no worries, Its nice not worring about it, just load and shoot.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
trashedback

Post by trashedback »

Thanks alot for the info guys....I really appreciate it!!!!
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

The varying diameter of servings is a minor issue from all the shooting I've done and seen done at the club.
The moon nock is fine if you have a dedicated cock vane on the arrow. The vane which sits in the trough.
The problem comes in where one might forget and place the wrong vane down and thus cause a dry fire.

I only use flat nocks so that I can test shoot a set of arrows and decide which vane is best in the down position.
I use vanes of all the same colour and then mark the down vane for future reference.
I do this to get all arrows to shoot same point of impact.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"