I took the plunge ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

86er

I took the plunge ...

Post by 86er »

After 6 months of reading here and research I finally got one - birthday present for myself. I went with the Axiom package. I've hunted with vertical bows both wheels and sticks for over 20 yrs. my current "modern" set-up shoots 416 gr arrows 228 fps ( including 100 gr tip). The Ex bolts are 419 gr (including 150 gr tip) and I'm clocking 277.5fps average. So I've gained an average of 49.5 fps but with 50% more broad head weight and better momentum. The difference in penetration from the tip is 5 inches on my target. My vertical bow has not had a problem putting arrows through deer so these bolts should easily do the same. I've shot deer, hogs, elk, black bear and exotics with my bow and never felt I needed more arrow weight or velocity. So the axiom should serve all my needs in fashion. I added the S5's and purchased 6 extra bolts and tips (same that came with it), a stringer and spare string. I have a relationship w Cabelas as an outfitter and guest speaker, so I paid a bit over $350 for all. The scope clicks were not 1/2 " increments, but I figured it out. Dead on at 20, the hold points are 1" high at 30' dead on again at 40 and 3" high at 50. My best group thus far was actually at 50' with 3 bolts touching and cutting vanes on 2 of them I won't do that again. I've shot bows to 60 yes but only have up to 40 yd aim points for hunting. I've never shot an animal at 40, 20 and 30 yes have been all. I'd be tempted to shoot the Axiom at 40 on game but probably won't have to since it never occurred past 30 on a hunt anyway. This took a little getting used to the noise and shock but it became less startling the more I shot. Where I used to shoot 100 arrows a day, I now have some pain and discomfort shooting more than 15. After 10 or 12 accuracy suffers. I can cock and fire the Axiom about 15 or 20 times before it is uncomfortable but the accuracy is consistent throughout so less practice will be necessary overall. I am looking forward to getting up in the tree stand with this. The Sonic Bolts are spot-on with the field tips and are just waiting to be bloodied.
Last edited by 86er on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr meat

Re: I took the plunge ...

Post by mr meat »

welcome and congrats on the new bow!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ParkerSxS

Post by ParkerSxS »

Well done Joe :D
Told ya x-cal was the way to go. 8)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Welcome to the Forum & congrats on yer Excal. Remember the C2 cranker is always there when you get to the pt of needin help cockin yer Excal
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ranger

Post by ranger »

Congrats and Welcome to the Club.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on your new Excal all the Excals shoot great from what I understand I've only shot 4 different models and they would stack arrows.

Welcome to the club also
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Welcome, great choice. I have an axiom too. Great bow. Ha
ve fun shooting :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Excellent! Congrats on your new Axiom.
Have fun and safe shooting to you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Bugflipper

Post by Bugflipper »

You should build up a little more to cocking it, the more you shoot it. I'm too cheap to pay for the cranker. Over $100 just seems insane for what it is.

I have an ibex that's the same power as yours. It was shooting 416 gr total a little faster because of the string, but very comparable to your setup. I've used 1 3/4" jackhammer sst several times all with pass throughs (besides one shot that zippered the shoulder), one was a north to south shot and came out of her rear.
Right now I'm using a swhacker 2 1/4" cut (455 gr total) and have taken 4 with it, all pass throughs, broadside and one top to bottom.
Last year I tested the 3" cut NAP FOC broadheads twice (450 gr total). Once was a pass through on a broadside. The other was a north to south and it didn't have an exit. The tip poked him in the right rear leg, but the blades stayed inside the hide. He fell right over on the spot. Just didn't feel secure of my power level vs. the cutting diameter.

The 175 lb bows have plenty of power, heck my 150 lb vixen does as well. You shouldn't have any worries on penetration unless you go with a 3.5" 3 blade. The only reason I didn't want to use the 3" 2 blade is I do take long shots and will shoot any angle to the vitals except a shoulder shot so I need to get good penetration out of the broadhead and it needs to stick with quartering shots instead of glancing. Your axiom will be great deer medicine when the time comes.