String silencers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

garys

String silencers

Post by garys »

I purchased a set of buzz busters string silencers made by excalibur for xbows.
I installed them like they said but on my first shot they flew apart that was the fastest 5.00 I blew in a while lol.
Any suggestions.
Garys
Normous

Re: String silencers

Post by Normous »

A Custom Boo string with served on whiskers is something you could consider.
boocustomstrings.com
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

enormous wrote:A Custom Boo string with served on whiskers is something you could consider.
boocustomstrings.com

XX2
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

A string dampener, example STS other than th& Boo's cat whiskers only a heavy arrow. Heavy arrows cost you speed !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

when i went from the stock lite stuff package arrows of 375gr to 550gr custom made arrows it was night and day with noise and vibration..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Excalibur's Excel and Super String (both Dacron) will keep noise down. You can slip the Fuzz Busters between the string bundles and keep them on by tying a serving on both sides. Last is that if you go to the Technical Section of Crossbow Review you can see how I serve on Cat Whiskers which is a way you can reduce noise a lot at a cost of 6 ft/sec.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If you don't like the noise, wear earplugs. One shot is all you're going to get anyway. Nothing, absolutely nothing will make a crossbow quiet to where a deer won't hear it. I shoot at RELAXED deer, that includes not stopping them with noise if at all possible.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
garys

Post by garys »

Thanks for all the info and suggestions everybody much apprec.
Im thinking of an sts system @ a heavier arrow, Losing a few ft per second dosn't bother me.Shot placement is more important. :)
Garys
K31Scout

Post by K31Scout »

garys wrote: Im thinking of an sts system @ a heavier arrow, Losing a few ft per second dosn't bother me.Shot placement is more important. :)
I made an sts for my Exocet and it helps a little. It's there to help if I ever dry fire the bow. Silencing is overrated when it comes to hunting but I like them as quiet as possible anyway but hate to rob performance unnecessarily.
So, I use beaver fur in the string. It weighs in at less than 7grs and works as well as heavy rubber cat whiskers or string leechs. They get soggy in the rain but I stay home when it rains anyway.:)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Everyone sets up their Bow like they want it to be. I don't try to get mine quiet, i just have a string on it. Shoot them Tick Toters & put'em in the freezer. Quick fast & in a hurry don't cha knowed!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I try to quiet down my excaliburs but not because of the animal I am shooting at. I don't want the other critters in the area to hear it. If I am shootin at a javelina I dont want the whitetail buck a hundred yards away to hear the bow and bust me.

I served on cat whiskers for my strings and put the NGSS string stopper on my bow and it really made a difference with the noise.
Boo

Post by Boo »

carvedtip wrote:I try to quiet down my excaliburs but not because of the animal I am shooting at. I don't want the other critters in the area to hear it.
That is precisely my sentiments.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

The STS is a good addition for both safety (in case of a dry-fire) and noise reduction. I had them installed, and they work!

But I just don't like too many accessories on my bow, so I took them off (and sold them). I do have a scope on my Phoenix because my eyes and the peep & pin don't match up too well in hunting conditions (can't see the FO pin in dim light inside a blind :roll: ), but the scope & mount is the only accessory (a.k.a. extra weight) I have on the bow.

I do have extra weight on the string :roll: :lol: (Boo string w/catwhiskers), but the added weight is minimal and I like the feeling of reduced noise & vibration the catwhiskers give me.
Not going to matter to the deer I shoot, but it makes me feel & shoot better when I'm target practicing. :shock:

For deer hunting my philosophy is - get close, get real close, and the noise isn't going to matter at all! :mrgreen:
wabi
bazm

Post by bazm »

I was thinking of installing fur silencers right where the string contacts the R.E.D.S. not only dampen vibration but muffle the contact sound
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The vibration they work on is out near the limb tips.......Boo is the expert on them, imho........
"Eze 18:21"