Fletching problem

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jim M

Fletching problem

Post by Jim M »

Ever since Bohning quit making fletch-tite, I've had problems getting
blazers to stick to aluminum shafts using the Platinum. I just fletched some up some using the blue-top Gorilla glue and same thing. I've lightly sanded the shafts, cleaned them with acetone as well as laquer thinner and same thing. One of the frustating things is that 2 of the fletch might pull right off and the 3rd one can't be pulled off with pliers. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Both glues seem to stick to the Blazers, but not to the aluminum.
jody5252

Re: Fletching problem

Post by jody5252 »

try some primer on fletching, also better to use denatured alcohol to wipe off shafts. while acetone is good, it still leaves an oily residue. also instead of sand paper, get some of those green 3m pads and some comet. srub good and rinse with hot water, and let dry...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

Thanks for the tips Jody. What do you mean for primer on the vanes?
What it denatured alcohol and where can I get it? I've been fletching aluminum since the old autumn orange shafts and never had any real problems until Fletch-tite was discontinued.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Make sure you have the real blazers, there are some look a likes, acetone will clean the shafts, this is another reason why I've shot feathers for ever.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I told Danny Miller I was having problems getting my fletching to stick with the Platinum, and he said "Well how old is yer Fletchtite, Pardner?" It was about three years old. I am not sure this was the culprit but Danny says use new glue. fwiw.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its true on the Platinum glue change it out every other yr. You can't believe how long some of this stuff sits in Warehouses fer yrs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I bought a new tube of platinum this spring. I just talked to Jerry at Southside archery and ordered some primer and glue from him. I never heard of using a primer until the response from Jody last night. Oh, that I might have a tube of the original Fletch-tite! Why do mfg have to take a good product and "improve"it?! Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I've been doing this for30-40 years, and all of a sudden I feel like a greenhorn. I guess we're never too old to learn.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I,ve had the same problem an found a lite swabbing down the vane with a q tip with acetone before fletching an new glue does wonders for me.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Jim M wrote:I bought a new tube of platinum this spring. I just talked to Jerry at Southside archery and ordered some primer and glue from him. I never heard of using a primer until the response from Jody last night. Oh, that I might have a tube of the original Fletch-tite! Why do mfg have to take a good product and "improve"it?! Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I've been doing this for30-40 years, and all of a sudden I feel like a greenhorn. I guess we're never too old to learn.
I tell you what happened to the glue! Dopeheads started baggin it to get a high. Too bad it didn't kill all of them varmits! :D So the Companys made a change, you knowed the drill Lawyers!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Comet and those 3m pads really helped me with that same problem.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

after cleaning your shafts very well you could use lockite the blue &black bottle. i really havent tried on alum. but i cant pull them off carbon might be worth it try one.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

after cleaning your shafts very well you could use lockite the blue &black bottle. i really havent tried on alum. but i cant pull them off carbon might be worth it try one.
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

yes i agree wipe shafts down with denatured alcohol, i also wipe my surface area on my blazers and fusions vanes. since i went to the bolt fletcher the platinum would not hold well at all, i am now using loctite gel problem solved haven't lost any vanes yet not even on pass thruse.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
diesel

Post by diesel »

That glue from Jerry @ SouthShore is real good stuff Drys quick too.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'm keeping mine in the fridge to see if I can get a little more time out of it....

I'm of the opinion it doesn't matter how long it sits on a shelf, the clock starts ticking down once you open the bottle...
"Eze 18:21"