Sighting In Tips

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Sighting In Tips

Post by nchunterkw »

August means alot of us start thinking about deer season and begin getting our bows ready for opening day.

I was shooting today and thought of all I learned on this forum and through experience and thought I'd pass along a few tips to maybe help those new to crossbows.

Please ADD your best tips to the thread. Here are a few of mine.

1) DON'T shoot of a hard rest (log piece of wood, etc.). You need to have a cushion between the bow and the rest. Otherwise the bow will jump on the shot throwing your arrow high.

2) If you are a hunter - Shoot off a rest only to get your zero, and reticle compensation correct. After that shoot from your hunting position(s). If you will be shooting from a treestand and resting the bow on a rail - make sure the rail is padded.

3) Practice at the longest distance you are comfortable with that is further than your expected shots at deer. This will make your real life hunting shots seem like a slam dunk. It also will show you if your windage is truly correct.

4) Squeeze, don't jerk the trigger and follow through (hold the trigger until you see the arrow impact through the sight).

5) Check the brace height of your string often. New strings will stretch alot - especially early on. Changing brace height will effect your POI.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Re: Sighting In Tips

Post by Normous »

6) Give your Excalibur an inspection now and again checking your string condition, checking screws, arrows, etc. Very important for that big hunt we all go on every year.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hummer

Post by hummer »

Excellent tips - thanks nchunter. One I'll add based on recent experience: a TriggerTech trigger will really help your marksmanship. No more variables associated with trigger function (e.g. creep). Yeah, they're spendy, but they're very nice.
Matrix 355
TriggerTech Matrix Hunter
BEA Executioners
Wac'em Exits
String by Vixenmaster
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Don,t shoot more than one arrow at a bullseye :shock: :shock: :shock:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you're having a hard time at the farther ranges, try one plane at a time. 6" piece of elctrical tape for vert, same for horizontal. This way you only focus on the line.
"Eze 18:21"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Lots of good stuff. I learn something here every time.

Thought of some more

On "problem arrows" try shooting them with each fletch in the channel. If you don't have arrows with 3 different colored fletches number them with a Sharpie

Number your arrows. It helps to identify your good and not so good flying arrows

Always always always test every broad head and arrow combo. Just because one arrow flies good with a BH does not mean they all will. You could be off 6" or more in any direction with a particular arrow. This holds for mechs too. I gave found one or two shots into my Rhinehart does not dull the blades. They still shave my arm.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

awshucks wrote:If you're having a hard time at the farther ranges, try one plane at a time. 6" piece of elctrical tape for vert, same for horizontal. This way you only focus on the line.
This is awesome advice. Will have to try this the next time at the range.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Handle the bow ever so slightly ,Dont death grip it while shooting off a bench.Always have a system to pull the string back the same every time.If not your shots will be all over the place .Very important to bring the sting back the same place every time for consistentance .

very good advise from everyone .

Treat the bow like your gal friend ,she will be good to you for your hunt. :lol: :lol:
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Being a 3d shooter, so I'll do 40 shots in a day,I unstring the the bow and rotate the string after every shoot,I also turn it from left to right to spread the wear on the serving.