Maxed out to 80 yds on tape

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

steve rodo

Maxed out to 80 yds on tape

Post by steve rodo »

3 different arras 4 times in same area .
String is sweet .Highly recommended .
Bottom green arra is a flyer .I'm gonna do my hunting arra's tomorrow best 6 out of 10 new bolts .
Im toyally confident of this bow ,With out any hesitation to shoot 50 yds to wack a deer ,with right condition's.
Im gonna shoot from the climber tomorrow 15 to 30 ft up.depending on the canopy of the leaves
bolt cutter check tomorrow .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
steve rodo

Re: Maxed out to 80 yds on tape

Post by steve rodo »

I love that optizimer dial ,just dial the yds and done .
Ideally 15 yrds is a sweet shot on a whitetail,Most my arra shots are with in 30 yds or less.

The set-up number went from 28 to 31 on the set-up tape to 60 yards.That puts it an average fps 350 to 365,according to the set up .
The new string raised the number from 28 to 31.Ive still got plenty of speed left .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

steve rodo wrote: ,With out any hesitation to shoot 50 yds to wack a deer ,with right condition's.
Last year was first time I hunted with a x-bow, so no experience here, but isn't a 50 yard shot on a deer really pushing the envelope??
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Bullzeye wrote:
steve rodo wrote: ,With out any hesitation to shoot 50 yds to wack a deer ,with right condition's.
Last year was first time I hunted with a x-bow, so no experience here, but isn't a 50 yard shot on a deer really pushing the envelope??
My personal maximum distance is 30 yards. It's just not worth the risk for a miss or worse yet a wounded animal. I target practise out to 40 yards, but would never send an arrow out that far on a game animal.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Ive kilt a few out to 50 yards ,But everything has to be right.The guys i shoot with do the same .We all shoot daily all yr around though .Cause we dont have anything else bette to do.So this is how we occupy our self's.When it's not hunting season we saltwater fish offshore in my vessel.

diesel

Post by diesel »

Steve
That green arrow you say is a flyer try shooting again but rotate the cock vane a lot of times that is all that needs done .
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

diesel wrote:Steve
That green arrow you say is a flyer try shooting again but rotate the cock vane a lot of times that is all that needs done .
I actually tried that .it's # 3 of 3 .Its gone any how .I use my #erd vane for cock vane.
As end result ,one of the vanes had a slight rip ,i didnt see in the vane.Actually i didn't look no how. :lol: :lol:
Thanks
for the input
Steve

yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

steve rodo wrote:Ive kilt a few out to 50 yards ,But everything has to be right.
Oh absolutely, as everyone knows for a shot at a 50 yard deer everything has to be perfect. Praying for the deer to not move until the arrow hits its mark is also the biggest part for everything having to be right.

Practise at extreme ranges into targets is another game of sorts and so important in order to you learn the crossbow and its fun. Attempting to adopt these long ranges in the harvesting of big game is something I cannot do ethically.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Tell the folks out west they can't kill deer out to 50 yds out west ,they will laugh at you.I had a buddy shoot an elk at 75 yrds last yr ,It's not for everyone though .Some will hunt water holes from a blind .some will horseback and track speed goats ,and shoot them at very long ranges with crossbow and compound bow.

I dont like taking a unsure shot sho nuf and i wont to this day . :D :D

steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Tell the folks out west they can't kill deer out to 50 yds out west ,they will laugh at you.I had a buddy shoot an elk at 75 yrds last yr ,It's not for everyone though .Some will hunt water holes from a blind .some will horseback and track speed goats ,and shoot them at very long ranges with crossbow and compound bow.Heck we walk beside horses and shoot deer too out west

steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Ive seen some amazing shots from crossbow's .Ive hunted all 7 contient's with bow and crossbow .There are some excellent shooters all over the world. :D :D :D

I understand where folks come from when it comes to bow hunting period .Ive myself have been hunting with some sort of bow for 40yrs.Hardly ever use a gun .just as back up when hunting grizzly bear .or in the mountains out west .some times them cats can be a pain in da butt at night . :D :D

yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

steve rodo wrote:Tell the folks out west they can't kill deer out to 50 yds out west ,they will laugh at you.I had a buddy shoot an elk at 75 yrds last yr ,It's not for everyone though .Some will hunt water holes from a blind .some will horseback and track speed goats ,and shoot them at very long ranges with crossbow and compound bow.

Sorry, you took it the wrong way. I don't care how others hunt.

I have my own ethical ranges even though I know my equipment and I are fully capable of longer pokes.

I never hunted Elk, but I enjoy Antelope hunting. My first speed goat was in Raton, New Mexico and 2nd and 3rd in Douglas, Wyoming.

Andrew

steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

yooper_man wrote:
steve rodo wrote:Tell the folks out west they can't kill deer out to 50 yds out west ,they will laugh at you.I had a buddy shoot an elk at 75 yrds last yr ,It's not for everyone though .Some will hunt water holes from a blind .some will horseback and track speed goats ,and shoot them at very long ranges with crossbow and compound bow.

I have my own ethical ranges even though I know my equipment and I are fully capable of longer pokes.

I never hunted Elk, but I enjoy Antelope hunting. My first speed goat was in Raton, New Mexico and 2nd and 3rd in Douglas, Wyoming.

Andrew

Love me some speed goat hunting .

No hard feelings .i understand .
In reality my perfect range is with in 30 yards here in ga .The woods i hunt wont allow me to shoot much further until the leaves fall.
We need to get together to hunt sometime ,ill go anywhere anytime ,just say hun ting im gone .

yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

steve rodo wrote:
yooper_man wrote:

Andrew

Love me some speed goat hunting .

No hard feelings .i understand .
In reality my perfect range is with in 30 yards here in ga .The woods i hunt wont allow me to shoot much further until the leaves fall.
We need to get together to hunt sometime ,ill go anywhere anytime ,just say hun ting im gone .
Sounds good,

Andrew

steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I bottomed my dial out on the optizimer .It got me out to 119 yards today . :D :D
I could actually watch the arra arch.Tomorrow im gonna crank the scope all the way up and see what happens ,with the dial bottomed out. :D :D