Is this true?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jh45gun1

Is this true?

Post by jh45gun1 »

Read an article about crossbow arrows and they guy said to use 125 grain broad heads if your gonna shoot at a longer distance. Said they just are more accurate at a longer distance any truth to this or just his opinion?
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Gwen's Dilemma

Re: Is this true?

Post by Gwen's Dilemma »

I've been shooting my carved tip Exomag about 20 years and all I shoot is 125 grain. When I bought mine I got it from Bill at the factory and at that time Wasp 125 grain cam locks were the recommended broadhead. Don't know about 50 yard shots but up to 40 are accurate. BTW I keep all my shots at deer under 30 yards because I found too many issues at longer shots.
Dave
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Sounds more like opinion 45. Way to many broadheads to choose from to say that.
turbo

Post by turbo »

I shoot 125 thunderheads and have no problems,I only shoot out to 35yds(thats where I feel comfortable) My friends shoot 100 and 150 with good luck so I cant say one weight is better than another.
I have heard but not seen it for myself that once in a while 100 will give a flier due to not enough front weight -like I said heard of it not seen it :roll:
Try different weights and what works for you is what you use,let us know
LIVING THE DREAM
chicotrout

Post by chicotrout »

While I agree that a 125 grain broad head will give you a flatter trajectory, it does not mean that it will be more accurate than 150 grain broad head. Accuracy is a matter of hitting what you are aiming at and being able to repeat it over and over again. Too many variables go into making an accurate shot to simply narrow it down to one variable. Aerodynamics are affected by the choice of broad head, arrow shaft, vanes, and nock. Change size, weight, shape of any and it will affect the flight characteristics of the arrow. I would keep your quarry in mind and I would also consider what your maximum shot distance would be for your particular hunt and go with that. The bigger the quarry, the thicker the skin and the bones, the heavier the pointy stick ought to be. So experiment with your own setup and use what works for you.
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I shoot 150's and they are good out to 45 yards,After that they kinda wonder all over the place .I'e also shot 125's.but i like the 150,s a whole lot better.I dont like the buzz the 125 has going to the target.I may try some slick tricks here next week 150 gr see how they are .

Lots of differences here .some like 90 to whatever grain works for them best .
You can have the same two bows and not shoot the same .Just like guns ,
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

That is 100% an opinion......and IMO whoever said that is not one I would take advice from when trying to setup arrows.....at least hunting arrows. I shoot all kinds of setups from 100gr to 150gr and all of them fly great - out to 50 yards. I'm partial to heavy arrows with a high FOC. My last "hog-setup" was an Easton FMJ arrow with a brass insert and 150gr Magnus Stinger 2-blade. Total wt. was ~525gr and I could hold a 1.5" (or less) group with 4 arrows at 40 yards shooting off my knee. Is that accurate enough? To some yes, and to others no, I guess.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

jh45gun1 wrote:Read an article about crossbow arrows and they guy said to use 125 grain broad heads if your gonna shoot at a longer distance. Said they just are more accurate at a longer distance any truth to this or just his opinion?
May be some truth to heavier hunting heads. Why are we putting 92 and 110 grain weights in our arrows and 100 grain heads. So accually I shoot a 210 grain broadhead and field points. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

BS. Accuracy is more a factory of arrow spine and straightness, as well as insert, vanes and several factors related to bow like relationship of barrel to riser, trigger etc. I heavier arrow may give you a higher FOC - assuming you don;t have weighted inserts already. But broadhead weight, by itself, only affects kinetic energy not accuracy. Plus, all else being equal, a heavier head will cause a steeper trajectory.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
ranger

Post by ranger »

I think its a Mind Set people get into. All my BHs are 100gn and Ive never had a issue but then all my shots on deer are under 30yrds, I do have 150gn BHs for my 380 Blackout because that's what was recommended to use with the 380 and diablo arrows. I'm not going to get into all the different things you can do with arrows and BH weight being I've been through all that with my Vert bows(compound, recurve, longbow) and with all the money I can save from not ending up with 6-10 extra dozen arrows and BHs I can buy another bow down the road :) .
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow !!!

What a diversion of ideas on this.

Accuracy actually depends on a lot of different things. The 125 gr head could mean greater accuracy then with a 100 gr head if your arrow needs a better FOC. It also might tip the FOC to much in the other direction which might cause problems.

The variables to accuracy are just too many to name here, but each and every one is a major factor. The great thing about using an Excalibur Bow is that most of them are already looked after in manufacturing it. Quality arrows, quality heads and good shooting practices are the major factors in accuracy that a shooter has greatest influence with to improve accuracy.

I believe that the greatest advantage the heavier heads give you with longer distances is weight. With more weight the arrow is more difficult to be effected by wind, but most importantly, on impact your heavier head (arrow) will hold it's KE longer down field for greater penetration. Even in saying that, I use 100 gr heads.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
rej

Post by rej »

Lots of varying comments here that point out why there is a large and healthy aftermarket industry around xbows. I got on this forum as soon as I got my Vortex and have saved myself a lot of time and money reading the freely given pointers from those with a lot of experience. In the end you have to make a few and shoot them lots to find best set up for you. Ranger likes 100 gr. BH and has figured how to make that work well. There are many who would agree with that. Some how I ended up at the other end of things and swear by the 175 gr. SlickTrick xbow mag. and get great accuracy and killing power with it. Only have one other BH because it partners well with the 175 for POI. The NAP 125 gr. Hell Razor xbow. I wanted to try a COC BH on moose. It works but I prefer the 175 gr. SlickTrick because if there is any angle on your shot the extra weight should keep things straighter on penetration. Call this an opinion if you like but when you get a lot of opinions people start trying things and progress is made which is to the benefeit of everyone.
jh45gun1

Post by jh45gun1 »

Thanks I have killed deer with 100, 125 and 140/50 grain broad heads Just wondering on what you all thought. :D On the average I do not shoot over 40 yards with 30 or closer being the norm.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.